Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Drag comp coming up first time doing this any advice!?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag comp coming up first time doing this any advice!?

Well slowly my V is coming back together so I am getting ready for high school drags . Never dragged this car or any car for that matter more of an auto-x and track guy but hey why not! Any advice for the strip onebadcad had some good ones on the other form.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No burnout......feather the clutch out of the whole and youll be fine. If you get any hop at all off the line let out or itll be high school pulls...you out of the staging lane.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Do you guys leaving the traction control on, off (via 5 second hold), or kinda off (via "tap" of button)?

LAW
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you mean comp mode vs just trac off???? but not full blown offf... in a straight line they are the same setting

im pretty sure comp mode just desensitizes the Stabil-a-trac so you can let the rear hang out more before the computer intervenes and pulses the brakes.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the modes and how to activate/deactivate, taken from another model's forum:

1 press - TC off, full AH on
2 presses in 5 sec - Competitive Mode, TC off, AH on, but with greater tolerances for sliding sideways
1 press for longer than 5 sec - TC and AH off.

If you are heading to the drag strip for the first time I would say to go with TC off and full AH on for at least 1-2 runs. Then, if you are good with that, try Competitive Mode. Not sure if there is benefit to shutting down everything.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Here are the modes and how to activate/deactivate, taken from another model's forum:

1 press - TC off, full AH on
2 presses in 5 sec - Competitive Mode, TC off, AH on, but with greater tolerances for sliding sideways
1 press for longer than 5 sec - TC and AH off.

If you are heading to the drag strip for the first time I would say to go with TC off and full AH on for at least 1-2 runs. Then, if you are good with that, try Competitive Mode. Not sure if there is benefit to shutting down everything.
Awesome info....thanks.

LAW
Old 05-10-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

my best runs have been with t/c full on.

my advice is if you try to be a hero you will break the diff.. so take it easy on the line and drive it home.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

I'm gonna take my 04 to the track this w/e for the first time as well...all of your advice is appreciated from me too....only got a cpl runs on her from a roll, haven't had a real pull from a dig yet
Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Aww I really wanted to do burnouts! Its fun being a show off sometimes because im sure theyll think its just a normal cts!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Persian-V
Aww I really wanted to do burnouts! Its fun being a show off sometimes because im sure theyll think its just a normal cts!
yea youll be a show off until everyone is laughing while your watching the diff fluid hit the pavement. You dont even have any wheel hop fixes yet either i dont think.

Another big trick is to be SURE to drive around the water box not through it. Wet tires= worst wheel hop ever and going 100mph with wet front wheels isnt my idea of excitement. many do it and have no problems by why risk it if you dont have to.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

NO WATER! I agree and from my own experiences it does more harm than good to burnout on street tires....I finally saw Ken Herring say the same last week on Pass Time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drag comp coming up first time doing this any advice!?