Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM near a speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCM near a speaker?

Is there any issue mounting the PCM in close proximity of a stereo speaker (within ~4-6 inches)?

I'm putting a LS2 in my 71 Chevelle and am planning to mount the PCM behind the passenger side kick panel and was also planning on purchasing the kick panels with provisions for 6.5" speakers. (I'll be using the A/C style panel, with an aftermarket A/C system from Old Air Products, so the fresh air inlet behind the kick panel will not be used.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Any input?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Teching In

I haven't heard of any interference issues, but I'm not a pro at this. I would guess that the PCM itself, being inside a large metal box would be immune so long as it was well grounded, so I would make sure that you mount it so that it is physically grounded (in addition to making sure the two ground wires are grounded.
It just occurred to me, though, that it might be possible that the signals from the PCM might cause interference on your speaker. Probably not, but you might want to start the engine with the PCM near your speaker before you take the trouble to mount it. If it does interfere, you could try running coaxial cables to your speakers. Sorry I don't have an answer, but these are probably the issues to consider.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the input.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

What about the magnetic field from the magnet on the back of the speaker? Would that cause the computer any problems?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't be sure about speakers, but I did mount a crossover for a pair of component speakers right up against the computer in my old firebird, and it caused it to run like smack and throw a code. There's a magnetic field created from the inductors in the crossover, and that's really about the only thing that could have caused these problems.

There's a much larger magnetic field from speakers, so I suspect that it could be a legitimate concern if the speaker is within a few inches of the computer.

Quick Reply: PCM near a speaker?