General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noise from rear of the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Noise from rear of the car

Its hard to explain this noise but its not like a click or rattle or grind... kind of a howl almost. You can start to hear it at 30mph and gets easier to hear the faster you go. It doesn't matter if I am in gear or neutral, none or part throttle, turning or going straight, the noise is there when above 30mph. I'm pretty sure it is not the rear end since the noise seems to be coming from the rear passanger side wheel area... though im not 100% sure. Also I am sure it is not the common noise a rear end makes because I have been in other f-bodys and they do not sound like this. Any ideas what it could be that isnt the rear end?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of shape are your rear tires in?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rear brake pads/calipers,
parking brake shoe inside the rear rotor hat
not much else back there that isn't the rear end, other than wheel bearing on the end of the axle shaft and tires.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
What kind of shape are your rear tires in?
It is not the tires or wheels. I put on a different set of wheels/tires and it still made the noise. But to answer ur question my tires are in good shape.

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
rear brake pads/calipers,
parking brake shoe inside the rear rotor hat
not much else back there that isn't the rear end, other than wheel bearing on the end of the axle shaft and tires.
Im thinking wheel bearing... but would a bad wheel bearing make a howling-like noise?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by udienow
Im thinking wheel bearing... but would a bad wheel bearing make a howling-like noise?
It certainly can.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by udienow
Its hard to explain this noise but its not like a click or rattle or grind... kind of a howl almost. You can start to hear it at 30mph and gets easier to hear the faster you go. It doesn't matter if I am in gear or neutral, none or part throttle, turning or going straight, the noise is there when above 30mph. I'm pretty sure it is not the rear end since the noise seems to be coming from the rear passanger side wheel area... though im not 100% sure. Also I am sure it is not the common noise a rear end makes because I have been in other f-bodys and they do not sound like this. Any ideas what it could be that isnt the rear end?
could be ball bearings, axles, bearings tires or very possibley your rear rears in the camaro dont last long i replaced mine twice know! and if its a axle bearing dont fix that just get another rear posi would be nice and through it under there changing axle bearings is a pain in the ***...