LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

looking to buy an lt1 what should i look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy an lt1 what should i look for

i been looking to buy a new daily driver i already have two ls vehicles a 98 z28 and an 09 tbss so i figured i will try the lt1s out plus there in the price range that i am willing to spend can anybody tell me what are the major problems besides the opti that i can look for im looking at a 93 formula right now is there any years that i should stay awey from any info i can get would be appreciated thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 is the best year in my opinion. Mostly because its easier to mod because of emissions and obdII tho. They also have the vented opti. Look for severe oil leaks, and drive it if you can. The rear tranny mount breaks a lot, so check that out. 96 and 97 Have to comply with emissions standards so if u live in a state where they test that you have a hard time getting around the rules. I would check the 10 bolt as well cause they are weak and prone to breaking. The rest is just the usual stuff u look for when buying a used car.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Look for abuse related stuff, like:
water in the oil
signs of overheating
low oil pressure
funny/unusual sounds, especially when driving really slow...turn the radio off and LISTEN. Go over speed bumps, etc.
make sure the fans work (both of them), and if they are manual, make sure you know where the switch is! I overheated the **** out of my car because of that little item. Fortunately, I didn't blow a head gasket because of it.
If you see ANY signs of electrical butchery, anywhere in the car, PASS!!!!!!! This would be most apparent in an aftermarket stereo install.

Last edited by fleetmgr; 05-11-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Teching In

ok thanks for the replys i been reading the lt1s run a little hot also what is there normal operating temp for them
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

In normal operation, the fans don't come on until 215 degrees or so I think.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
95 is the best year in my opinion. Mostly because its easier to mod because of emissions and obdII tho. They also have the vented opti. Look for severe oil leaks, and drive it if you can. The rear tranny mount breaks a lot, so check that out. 96 and 97 Have to comply with emissions standards so if u live in a state where they test that you have a hard time getting around the rules. I would check the 10 bolt as well cause they are weak and prone to breaking. The rest is just the usual stuff u look for when buying a used car.
and the ele. ****. If you find that some dude fucked with it walk away. Not worth the problem even if hes giving it away because you can dump endless loot into it and never get it right.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check for the rear intake gasket leaking. Oil will be all over the firewall. Easy fix but a pain in the *** when I couldn't find it. I dunno if anyone else has had the problem with the radiator cracking but mine and my sister's both cracked at the filler neck down about 4 inches.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles does this 93 Formula have?

If something seems bad to you and not willing to fix it pass it up. Most leaks can be fixed for cheap, matter of replacing gasket. For something that old you wont find one that's in perfect condition unless the guy took good care of it.

Id like to add, if you aren't the type that like to work on opti spark, pass it up because its none vented and if it has high mileage it will eventually go bad! Lot of folks on here buy a LT1 then whine about there opti spark and how they are pissed off. Its better to know about it before getting into a car this old.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 AM
8 Second Club

I would try to look for stock cars. I bought mine with a few mods but nothing was done to the motor internals. Like what was said before, if the wiring has been hacked up RUN AWAY.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
You mean because 95's aren't OBDII? They're still OBDI, but have an OBDII diagnostic port. But, I would have to agree that 95's are the best year, since they have the vented opti and are still OBDI for easier tuning. The fact that 93's are speed density is a plus though, so you don't have to worry about a MAF sensor.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Two biggest things I've found to be probems is a water leak, which can f up the optispark. And if you can try to pull a valve cover. I pulled mine after I got it and found it to be pretty sludged up even though the car itself is in decent shape.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

i been looking at a bunch of them they all seem to run rough and are beat to crap i think i might stick whit ls1 cars i figure most people here i wichita are overpricng the crap out of these cars i went to look at one today guy said great shape hardly anything wrong whit it i get there dents spiderwebbed paint and really shity touch up on some huge chips has to rev it up to put in reverse and a cracked dash looked like it was going to collapse in 105kmi he wanted 7k for it he said ill knock down 180 there must be something in the water here cuz people think there cars are the only ones ever made or something now i remember y i bought my last three cars out of state thanks for all the replys everyone very helpfull
Old 05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

95 LT1 FTW!

3 best years IMO would be:

93, due to the speed density(not a fan of the 700r4 and the oddball parts tho)
95, due to the OB1 pcm, easy to tune, newer style steering wheel & more of a "timeless" interior (HATE the 93 and 94 buttons! but I also prefer the non digital odometer which was still in the '95s), vented opti, and a lot less things to trip yur Check engine light
and 97 due to the newest style interior and that 10 extra HP from the dual cats
Old 05-25-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everybody knows red 94's are the fasest, period
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gregrob
Everybody knows red 94's are the fasest, period
No the black 94's had viper engines.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 PM