Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Issue with Subthump stealth box in T/A??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Issue with Subthump stealth box in T/A??

Hey guys,

I just received a driver's side stealth box from subthump. I tried installing it, and understand its suppose to be a tight fit, but I can't get it back far enough to mount the plastic trim piece over the top of it. Also, the way it sits now, I wouldnt be able to put the t-top in without the sub rubbing it.

Anyone else have issues using their stealth box?

My previous set-up was with their amp rack (which I am reusing) and the rear deck box...and didn't have any issues with fitment.

Last edited by peterlawl84; 05-25-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Changing title to be more specific
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take out the piece of carpet and try
Old 05-12-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

I tried it without the carpet as well...still no change.
Here are some pics.

The front part of the box is pretty close to where it needs to be, but the part against the back wall sticks out towards the passenger side too much (where I can't get the trim piece on). The car has never been in an accident and there is nothing behind the box...its rubbing hard against the backwall of the trunk space though.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone with ideas? I called them today, and they said just hit it with my hand until it fits...for $120...I was expecting it to slide in and fit easily...
Old 05-13-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats how they all fit.... u have to cut the little edge off the plastic trim so it will sit flat
Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

damn...I thought the driver's side would not need any modifications...is there a stealth box that would not require any cutting?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
damn...I thought the driver's side would not need any modifications...is there a stealth box that would not require any cutting?
i have a plastic one that fits fine. no clue where it came from or who i got it from. i got it about 6 years ago. but it fits great.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

hm, well i just figured out a couple reasons why it won't fit right.
1. the back corner hits the corner screw of the taillight
2. the angle on the lower right corner of the box (when facing it) is not quite the same as the angle of the opening.

While I could leave it like in the pics above and have my t-top rub with the sub installed...I am not very satisfied with the fitment. Maybe I got a bad one, but I am going to call them back and see if I can get a refund.

That being said, just found through searching that Kee audio also has a box available...anyone have any fitment issues with their box?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to grind the corners of my subthump box for it to fit right.Just kind of round the corners off a good bit.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine fits fine.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
mine fits fine.
Thats why I was surprised when I had so much trouble, I had only heard good things about subthump's stealth box previously and also never had issues with the other stuff I have bought from them in the past...hopefully I will be able to get this resolved tomorrow when I call back.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

if its plastic its probably a mtx thunderform i have one siting in my garage.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Hey guys,

I just received a driver's side stealth box from subthump. I tried installing it, and understand its suppose to be a tight fit, but I can't get it back far enough to mount the plastic trim piece over the top of it. Also, the way it sits now, I wouldnt be able to put the t-top in without the sub rubbing it.

Anyone else have issues using their stealth box?

My previous set-up was with their amp rack (which I am reusing) and the rear deck box...and didn't have any issues with fitment.
I bought one & it fits perfectly.
If you had a cd changer, there is a stud & a bracket that have
to be removed in order for the box to set flat.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

the plastic one of mine says "vantage" on the side?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Never had a CD changer in there. I had the carpet removed, there were actually a couple issues. The front "face" of the box needs to be trimmed down on multiple sides. Also the box depth had to be reduced to 9 1/2" because it was the depth from the front of the box to the metal hump when the front of the box is lined up with the trim.

I made a template and measurements and have been emailing subthump. They said they were willing to make modifications for my fitment. So hopefully everything will be settled.
I will post updates and hopefully pics of the modified box when I receive it.

Last edited by peterlawl84; 05-19-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never had a CD changer in there. I made a template and measurements and have been emailing subthump. They said they were willing to make modifications for my fitment. So hopefully everything will be settled.
I will post updates and hopefully pics of the modified box when I receive it.
maybe your car was in an accident before? i've never heard of someone not being able to fit a subthump box in their setup.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuffluck
maybe your car was in an accident before? i've never heard of someone not being able to fit a subthump box in their setup.
Rear-end has never been hit. My sister back into the front of it when I was in high school.

From pics I have seen from other ppl and from what I have been told by others, their fitment is the same as mine listed at the top unless they modified stuff. But most of the pics I have seen, upon close inspection, the plastic trim doesn't fit properly ontop of the box.

Supthump told me the box design was molded from a camaro.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Update: (Esp for firebird, T/A owners)

I talked with Kee audio as well has having heard from other people. The Firebirds/TAs have a shallower cubby hole than Camaros. If a box fits a Firebird (Kee audio's design), then it will fit a Camaro with no issues, but the same is NOT true the other way around.
Subthump has already told me their box was designed from a Camaro, so that is why it is not fitting properly.
Subthump agreed to make some modifications (but I do not think he believes me that pontiacs have a different sized space), I will receive the box tomorrow, hopefully it fits up this time.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is true of the JL Audio stealth enclosure having the Camaro/Firebird issue but the Subthump boxes have usually fit both cars with maybe some slight issues like yours. Another thing you can try is to slide the back part in where it's supposed to be more then push the front into place. That might work.
The Vantage stealth enclosures were made by JL Audio and are no longer produced. They fit perfectly and sound great...I was suprised that a plastic enclosure sounded that good with less density then mdf. I still have 2 of them I kept around just because they are not made anymore. They also have a ton of depth for large motor structured subs.
The enclosures I have fit with no issues at all but do have slightly less depth then Subthump box. I do have one other type of mdf enclosure I use that is coated like the other one I have but has enough depth to fit a Kappa Perfect 10 which is a fairly deep sub. Both of my mdf enclosures are coated with a truck bed type coating that seals, protects and offers a deadening type effect as well.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

I received the new box from subthump today and it fits better now (they trimmed the baffle down to the shape of the template I sent them and also made the box shallower).

Anyways, just wanted to say Steve was a stand-up guy and willing to work things out. Here are some pics of the final install. I already had the all silver amp and cap mounted from the previous set-up and did not feel like trying to rearrange everything when I added the 2nd amp this week as well.

Quick Reply: Issue with Subthump stealth box in T/A??