Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Usb hooked up to factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Usb hooked up to factory radio

Has any one ever done this ? I did some searching and found a thread that you can hook up an Ipod . So I was curious if any one hooked up a trans flash or flash drive to the factory radio and still be able to use the steering wheel controls ?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The guy who did the ipod mod, his name is Jason Novak and he is a memeber on this forum, PM him and I bet he can. Post your results, cool mod to have too, IMHO.

(PS-he modded mine for ipod too)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Jason's mod allows connecting an auxiliary input to the audio wiring inside the head unit. It only substitutes an external audio signal for the one being produced by the internal CD drive. It does no signal processing so it isn't even an iPod connection - other than you can connect an iPod using the headphone jack just like any other MP3 player. This is not possible with a USB connection because there is no way the factory HU can convert the data files into audio signal.

Even adapters such as the iSimple don't do much more than connect the iPod audio signal and charge the battery. I have seen adapters for other car models that make the head unit think the USB flash drive (or SD card) is actually an external CD changer but I've never seen one for an F-body (or any older GM product).
Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

so basically if I want to hook up a usb I have to get an aftermarket head unit and get that adapter so my steering wheel buttons still work ?
Old 05-15-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah or just do a cheap mp3 player
Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I did some research and found that the USB/SD adapter I mentioned is compatible with OEM head units from Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen, Mazda, Hyundai, Audi, and Skoda along with a number of aftermarket head units (Panasonic, Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, etc.). Unfortunately, it seems they don't make one that is compatible with GM head units.

So, your options would be an MP3 player as pentavolvo suggests (although you can't control it from the steering wheel controls) or an aftermarket HU with the steering wheel control adapter. If you want to use an iPod with your factory radio, there are adapters that let you connect an iPod through the CD changer port and control it using the HU or steering wheel controls (it also charges the iPod battery).

Quick Reply: Usb hooked up to factory radio