Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a stall, next step ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a stall, next step ?

well i got a stall for my 94 lt1 trans am, my next questions are, what cooler should i get? i read the B&M 70264 was good enough? Also i was trying to figure out how to run it, I assume you mount it in front of the radiator for good air flow? And finally do you run the cooling lines straight to the cooler or into the radiator then to the cooler(I read you could do both but the radiator way heats the fluid up more.) Anyway I need so input on how to do this.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted my routing on this thread, see #11 and 13.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...8-install.html
Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

thanks man, i was looking at that earlier ill probably mount mine similar to that. my other question is if you bypass the radiator will the tranny overheat when you are idling? i guess it shouldn't since the fans will pull air through that area, also does it take longer before you can do spirited driving since it takes longer for the transmission to heat up?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done it both ways (through the radiator and not) and I honestly couldn't tell a difference. If you wait for your engine to warm up before beating on it (highly recommended) then your trans should be warm as well. However, bypassing the radiator will not allow your trans to warm up as your coolant does. ..... .02
Old 05-13-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

yeah thats what i figured, thanks for your input ill have to decide maybe look around a little more and pick i guess, for driving it would be nice to have it just cooler, but yeah for the warm up it would be nice to have it go through the radiator
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw someone post that Circle D recommended at least 29K BTU if bypassing the stock cooler. I was not able to get an exact rating like that when I asked around, so I am not exactly sure on that rating being minimum.
I believe the 70264 is rated at 14.4 K, it does have the cold coolant bypass feature though.
My two main concerns with bypassing the stock cooler was under heating in cold and over heating in hot weather if the cooler was too small. Like I said, I was never told an exact rating, but I chose the 70266 which has a 20.5 K BTU rating. (You can get the 70274 - 29.2K BTU and it should fit mounted the same as I did).
And I try and wait til the engine is warmed up before hard driving, saves the tranny and the H&C with stiffer springs.