LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car is missing when i give it gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is missing when i give it gas

had a cooling problem got it fixed then when i am in park and ease in the gas revs fine but if i just try to do a quick rev it sounds like it is misseing and when driveing as long as i ease into the gas its ok but misses alittle but if i floor it it missed something bad the car is a 94 z28 all stock could it be the plugs and wires or the opti and if it is the opti what are soem of the signs of one going bad
Old 05-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Teching In

How long since the plugs and wires have been changed? Not sure where you live but since it is either already dark or will be soon, go out pop the hood on your car and start it up. Look for the wires arching, if you see this you need to replace the wires.

Did this just start all of the sudden or did it gradually get worse over time?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jb00v8
had a cooling problem got it fixed then when i am in park and ease in the gas revs fine but if i just try to do a quick rev it sounds like it is misseing and when driveing as long as i ease into the gas its ok but misses alittle but if i floor it it missed something bad the car is a 94 z28 all stock could it be the plugs and wires or the opti and if it is the opti what are soem of the signs of one going bad
Was coolant leaking? Did it get on the optispark?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be all 3 problems. or it could be the ICM under the coil. coulda gotten it to hot and messed it up. space that off the head first then check for wire arcing
Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys the miss has gotton worse over time and the car did run hot a few times so it could be the icm under the coil if i buy a new coil will it come with it or can i just buy a new one also got plugs and wires going to put on tomm just to be on the safe side of everything but no water on the opti though. and the leak was on a hose that ran from the raditor neck to a metal hose that ran between the intake and the passenger side valve cover had a hole in it and causing a air pocket to get in the system
Old 05-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Default probably the opti

the weak spot on the LT1 is the opti-spark....GM makes the best and charges too much for it. A head ache
Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't go off just buying ****, and throwing money away, i just had the same problem. It turned out to be the fuel pump. You need to get a pressure gauge, and check your fuel pressure at WOT. If it has a bad drop in pressure its your fuel pump. Joe has a good rite up on how to change it out without dropping the tank. Took me about a hour or so to change mine out start to finish.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

well thanks everybody for there input but it was a fuel issues had about 40 psi at wot changed the fuel filter and got it back to 45 psi and cleaned the mass air flow and it has never run better

Quick Reply: car is missing when i give it gas