Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What sounds like a blown speaker that ISN'T a blown speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sounds like a blown speaker that ISN'T a blown speaker?

Hey All,

I'm sorry to once again start a thread about the wonderful Monsoon sound system in our cars, but I've searched around and haven't quite found an answer.

I have an '02 TA with the factory sound system, except for an aftermarket iPod integration kit. It's one of the ones that just converts into where the CD player plugs in.

Anyway, I could have sworn that I had, once again, blown one of the sail panel subs out. I was getting a vibration and muffled noise once the stereo warmed up, or whenever the bass was turned up. I ordered the replacement part, and put it in. I drove around with it that day, and everything sounded great. Last night, I got in the car, and it started doing it again. The car wasn't driven between the two times. As soon as I got home to start checking it, it went away again - and I can't seem to replicate the problem by turning the bass up or anything like that.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance on the subject - but does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Another blown speaker (It just seems like I would be able to make it buzz and vibrate in an hour of driving around)?

Thanks for all of the help.

--M

Edit: The problem seems to happen no matter what the media: CD, iPod, or AM/FM.

Last edited by irex511; 05-14-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Welcome to the forum! You are officially victim #45,673, who has had this problem.

Its a blown speaker. Bad design. They last just a couple of days before they go.

Check out Kee Audio. He is a sponsor and has several great replacement options, which won't go out on you. If you search, you'll find many discussions on this.