Scammer Alert (Houston Area)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scammer Alert (Houston Area)

Well to start off I was in a Shell station off of 249 & 1960 getting some diesel and 2 guys pulled up in a black F-150 and started trying to pitch to me that he had some extra surround sound speakers for sale. The box (Kinetic Surround Sound) has a MSRP of $2,495 and he kept telling me that his warehouse gave him extras and that he couldnt take them home and sell them. To make a long story short these two guys pressured me into buying the system and I gave them $200 so they would leave me alone. They pressured me enough to make my life feel threated to an extent. I get the system home and its complete junk and hardly turns on. I am a pretty smart person when it comes to scams but when my life feels almost threatend I dont feel that $200 was much of a loss.

Please spread this to all your friends and family and dont get scammed like I did. I wish I would have had my handgun on me to put the pressure back on these guys.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Dude that one is a old scam been happening for 3 years now.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

3 years? **** atleast 5 or 6 years!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go to the police dept and make sure its not stolen. If it happens to been give them the info they need.

Like you said yourself the stuff sounds like **** so no big loss.

Stop them from doing it again.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by daniel044
Well to start off I was in a Shell station off of 249 & 1960 getting some diesel and 2 guys pulled up in a black F-150 and started trying to pitch to me that he had some extra surround sound speakers for sale. The box (Kinetic Surround Sound) has a MSRP of $2,495 and he kept telling me that his warehouse gave him extras and that he couldnt take them home and sell them. To make a long story short these two guys pressured me into buying the system and I gave them $200 so they would leave me alone. They pressured me enough to make my life feel threated to an extent. I get the system home and its complete junk and hardly turns on. I am a pretty smart person when it comes to scams but when my life feels almost threatend I dont feel that $200 was much of a loss.

Please spread this to all your friends and family and dont get scammed like I did. I wish I would have had my handgun on me to put the pressure back on these guys.

Thanks for the alert.

ps i have a couple hundred acers in arizoina ocean front i'd like to sell. $200.00 is all i'm asking
Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IF you felt threatened why didnt you call the cops?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SHELBY08
Thanks for the alert.

ps i have a couple hundred acers in arizoina ocean front i'd like to sell. $200.00 is all i'm asking
make ill 199.99 and ill take it
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

I was in the back of the station getting diesel as no one was around. I had my phone in my truck and these guys had me cornered by the back of my truck. They never threated me but demanded me to give them some money. I knew this was a scam from the beginning and I declined multiple times but when the second man got out of the truck and demanded the money things where taken to a whole new level. I knew something was wrong and to avoid any situation I pulled the cash out and gave it to them so they would leave me alone. With my adrenaline pumping I was not thinking of what to do and didnt get a damn license plate number.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
make ill 199.99 and ill take it
cheapskate

ok i'll take it
Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

People have been trying to sell cheap speakers and surround systems out of their vans for years. Always the same BS story that they had extra for the movie theater or the warehouse loaded too much.

You should have told them from the beginning you didn't have any money and you weren't interested and they wouldn't have wasted their time.

If something seems too good to be true it usually is
Old 05-14-2010, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

I think he knew it was a scam, he just figured he would get something out of it rather than be beat down and robbed for the 200 anyway. Question is, why do you walk around with 200 dollars in your wallet? Another great case for why everyone should be packing heat at all times.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsjuanmike
I think he knew it was a scam, he just figured he would get something out of it rather than be beat down and robbed for the 200 anyway. Question is, why do you walk around with 200 dollars in your wallet? Another great case for why everyone should be packing heat at all times.
I wish, I'm not even legaly allowed to own one let alone carry one. **** all I can have is a damn bow and arrow. " y'all don't move while I pull out a bow and arrow and protect myself". But yeah that scam has been goin g on for years.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

I never carry cash on me and the only reason I had cash on me was I sold a handgun yesterday and had that cash on me from that. Lol go figure just my luck when I get rid of my handgun.

I just now saw on the internet that this scam has been around for years. Wish I would have known about it today haha. Hope this thread helps for anyone that is unaware of this scam.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Good call on paying them the 200. You were able to drive home, no bruises, broken legs etc. I'd call the cops and give them a description of the car, and the guys that were harrasing you.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

I get hit up for money all the time like that. I always just tell them I have no cash.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

tell me exactly what they said. how can they try to sell you something by demanding you to buy it. i just have a hard time picturing this. i believe you but damn wtf is going on over there in htown.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude....Was it a Bald white guy???? cause there was 3 guys that pulled up to me at a shell station about a month ago here while I was in my company truck tryin to sell me the same thing, same story and all.....I declined about 5 or 6 times and he kept at it, stepping closer with every question..offered to follow me to my bank so I could with drawl the money since I do not carry cash on me while at work.....finally got close enough to reach for my holstered 9mm at my side on my inner waist band...had to ask him 3 times to step back and leave me alone....once it was unholstered and drawn, the 3 of em stepped back fairly quickly... now I'm 5'11" and weigh a whooping 160lbs... and these guys had me out weighed by about 200lbs at least...call me a puss if you want, but 3 on 1....I didn't like my odds
Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Basically what happened was at first the driver guy was trying to pitch me this surround sound system and trying to get me to give him $500 for it. I told hime multiple time no and he never got the point. Then he went on to tell me how I was losing out. Out of no where his buddy got out of the truck and cornered me on the side of truck and told me "I know you have money" as him and his buddy kept moving closer. This guy continued to say this to me. I figured the reasonable thing to do so that I wouldnt have confrontation with these guys is to either pay up or risk myself getting into something serious. I took the easy way out and im glad I did. With the crime rate in Houston on the rise I just did not want to take a chance on this. Gave them the $200 and they left in a hurry.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
dude....Was it a Bald white guy???? cause there was 3 guys that pulled up to me at a shell station about a month ago here while I was in my company truck tryin to sell me the same thing, same story and all.....I declined about 5 or 6 times and he kept at it, stepping closer with every question..offered to follow me to my bank so I could with drawl the money since I do not carry cash on me while at work.....finally got close enough to reach for my holstered 9mm at my side on my inner waist band...had to ask him 3 times to step back and leave me alone....once it was unholstered and drawn, the 3 of em stepped back fairly quickly... now I'm 5'11" and weigh a whooping 160lbs... and these guys had me out weighed by about 200lbs at least...call me a puss if you want, but 3 on 1....I didn't like my odds
Yes one of them was Bald and the other was a little on the bigger side. Probably the same guys as you encountered. Definitly was a uneasy feeling. Wish I had my .40 on me and it might have been a different outcome. Good to hear someone stood up to these guys. One day they will mess with the wrong person and I hope karma bites them in the ***.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel044
cornered me on the side of truck and told me "I know you have money" as him and his buddy kept moving closer. This guy continued to say this to me.

You guys must live in nice parts of town, because in Alief this constitutes a jacking, jack **** and that's when the glock 40 shells start falling. Plus your at a gas station, but ol' boy step back in a hurry when hes covered in gas and see's you got a lighter your flicking coming at him.