Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60 rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60 rebuild questions

Bought a 93 Z28, got it cheap because of a trans issue. Test drove it and found that R,1,2 worked fine. When in D or OD would only slip past 2nd. Slip like there was nothing there for 3rd. Decided to pull the trans and rebuild, figured a problem that big would be noticeable.

A few upfront details from when i bought the car:

Looks like it has a new/newer TV cable that was not adjusted at all.

Inspection cover was mission off of trans

looks like someone may have either pulled the trans before or at least unbolted it (based on inital view)

anyhow i pulled the trans, pulled it apart and started going through it, from what i can tell all the hard parts look great, all the bushings look great, all the steels look new, all the clutches look good, the band showed some slight wear. I did however find the 1-2 accumulator spring was broken, one of the torrington bearings covers was broken, and the rear lube seal had a broken edge.

None of this leads me to believe that it would cause my no 3rd/4th problem. Although it does lead me to beleive that someone may have attempted something on the trans before. Should i be worried?

gonna go thru the VB this week and hopefully find something. any help or comments would be appriciated.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try adjusting the T.V. cable before pulling the trans? I would have at least put a pressure gauge on it before I pulled it. You can you air check the 3/4 frictions in the drum if it's still assembled. If not what did the 3/4 frictions and steels look like. Any coning? Correct stack up?

Also, check the forward piston for cracks. Not related to 3/4, I've just noticed the aluminum forward pistons like to crack. I haven't come across a broken accumulator spring before nor the broken bearing. Just bluing from heat and lack of lube. There may have been pieces of metal that broke off and lodged themselves somewhere in the VB preventing 3rd.

Last edited by PedaltoMetal; 05-17-2010 at 07:02 PM.