Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

custome interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custome interior lighting

So while browsing around, I've contemplated creating some custom ambient lighting on my bird. What I've somewhat decided on -pending some verification of my electronic theory- wire up 2 neon wires (electroluminescent wire) - http://www.crazypc (dot) com/products/neon_wire_blue-8430B.html - on each door, wired to switch using the power port or cigarette lighter as my 12v source?
I know when dealing with speakers wiring becomes very important, but with these lights, would it hurt to just do a Y pattern off the switch to the doors then a Y back to the ground wire?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Why don't you just turn your cigar lighter in to a switch itself and then wire from there?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Why don't you just turn your cigar lighter in to a switch itself and then wire from there?
It didn't seem appealing to me, I want the manual control.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Right - You pull the heating element out of the cigar lighter, (carefully) drill a hole in the center post, drill a hole in the casing and then solder a wire across the two. (You essentially replace the resistive element with a regular wire.) Then, you cut the ground wire to the lighter and then put that in as the ground to your lights. The hot wire hooks up to the cut ground from the lighter. Then - you are left with a switch. In=On Out=Off
Old 05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh... I was just going to splice into the hot wire that leads into the lighter.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fosnot
So while browsing around, I've contemplated creating some custom ambient lighting on my bird. What I've somewhat decided on -pending some verification of my electronic theory- wire up 2 neon wires (electroluminescent wire) - http://www.crazypc (dot) com/products/neon_wire_blue-8430B.html - on each door, wired to switch using the power port or cigarette lighter as my 12v source?
I know when dealing with speakers wiring becomes very important, but with these lights, would it hurt to just do a Y pattern off the switch to the doors then a Y back to the ground wire?
that would work, just throw a toggle in there.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikehaase1norse
that would work, just throw a toggle in there.
well yah, I was gunna get either the 4 switch or 6 switch panel from emblem pros