Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car Remote Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Remote Won't Work

Took the girl out the other night for dinner, and locked myself out of the Camaro. Before we went in, I pressed the lock button on the remote and nothing happened, so I just reached in and pressed the lock button on the door without thinking. I don't carry a door key on my key chain, and of course my remote wasn't going to open the car later...

Ended up walking across the street to a WalMart thinking it was just a battery. I buy a new battery, put it in the remote, and walk back to the car. Nothing happens. I tried flipping the battery around, resetting the remote, etc. and nothing happened. I ended up having to call a tow truck, and the driver turned out to be a Camaro nut himself (owned a 2001 Berger SS, as well as a few others) and he helped me get back in my car.

The remote on my spare keys works just fine, so now I know it's the remote. Any ideas on how to fix a broken remote, or should I just buy a new one? The remote worked just fine before that. I did drop my key chain at one point on accident, but I can't remember if that was the same day or not...
Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Fixing it would probably cost more than a new one.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Buy a new one and start carrying a door key. Two problems solved
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Buy a new one and start carrying a door key. Two problems solved
I knew sooner or later that lack of door key would bite me. I'm going to make sure I have one on me from now on...

Nobody knows any tricks to these remotes? It says on the inside to press and hold lock and unlock for 7 seconds near the car to reset it. Are there any tricks to this?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There is more to it than just pressing the remote's buttons. The procedure is in your owner's manual and posted here. You need to program all the remotes (up to 4) at the same time.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened to me when I was out of town. Freaked me out. I resync'd (Pressed Lock/Unlock simultaneously) the remote to the car and it worked great.

Quick Reply: Car Remote Won't Work