Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O-ring for nitrous, head or block? What Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O-ring for nitrous, head or block? What Gasket?

Ok, I think since we only have 4-head bolts per cylinder I need to o-ring my heads or block for the big 300-400 hp nitrous kit i going to be using on my 409" iron block

Id prefer to do the block i think because if i change heads i wont have to do it again.

So if i do the block, where do i get an o-ringed blockside ls1 head gasket???

Ive already got ARP Studs.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:13 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

big head studs, then o ring which ever side you want. i ran a copper gasket with the block o ringed.

my .02
Old 01-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Banned

Where/what brand gasket do you get for the o-ring???

I should have to specify that i need an o-ring in the gasket yes?
Old 01-13-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1
Where/what brand gasket do you get for the o-ring???

I should have to specify that i need an o-ring in the gasket yes?
Use copper gaskets. They are the only gasket to use when using a wire o-ring. The wire wil stick up out of the block about .020" more or less, and pinch the copper betweeen the head and block. If you need even more sealing power, you can get receiver grooves cut into your heads, so that the copper will push up into the head a little.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

LonSlo

The only gasket?? thats not entirely true.... the stock GM Graphite gaskets work very well with Oringed heads our C5 uses them and any customer we Oring heads for uses them.... Most Orings only protrude 12-14 thousandths off the deck or the head any more and you would run into sealing problems especially with copper gaskets.

My reccomendation is to Oring the heads ( repair is cheaper if something happens) then run the stock GM graphite gaskets.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TEA Brent
LonSlo

The only gasket?? thats not entirely true.... the stock GM Graphite gaskets work very well with Oringed heads our C5 uses them and any customer we Oring heads for uses them.... Most Orings only protrude 12-14 thousandths off the deck or the head any more and you would run into sealing problems especially with copper gaskets.

My reccomendation is to Oring the heads ( repair is cheaper if something happens) then run the stock GM graphite gaskets.
so you would not reqemend the GM steel gaskets for this?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

My block was o ringed and would also like to know which gaskets would work best and not have problems with them leaking

Can we use Cometic gaskets?
I heard copper gaskets are not that great for street cars?
I like to drive my car on the weekends also and dont want to worry about blown head gaskets all the time
Old 01-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Banned

Im curious on this as well.

I "HATE" using the graphite gaskets mainly cause they are so hard to clean everything when the heads come off. (but now its iron block so itll be easier cause its harder to hurt the deck...

Any felpro gaskets available for this?
Old 01-17-2004, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by taqwache
so you would not reqemend the GM steel gaskets for this?
Do NOT use the MLS gaskets with O-ringed heads. If you do, you'll use more coolant than gas...don't ask how I know.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Here is what we have done, O-ring the block and use either copper or the graphite gaskets. The copper gaskets will leak some while the engine is cooling down. You will have seepage. The graphite gasket will not do this. Just make sure that your o-ring is on the outside of your gaskets fire ring. If not you will have problems. If you have any questions just PM me or give me a call...

Thanks,

BTW, do not try to use the MLS gaskets with the o-rings, this will lead to problems!
Old 01-17-2004, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

TEA has been doing all of our heads with o-rings, and they do an EXCELLENT job. We then use the stock GM graphite gaskets also. So far, so good. The Z held up to over 24lbs of boost with that setup and stock diameter ARP head studs. Never even showed any signs of seepage.
FWIW, we've used Cometic 3 piece gaskets, Copper gaskets, o-rings, receiver grooves, and Fel-Pro's. Nothing has worked better than the way I just described.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Rob you have a PM
Old 01-18-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rob Raymer
TEA has been doing all of our heads with o-rings, and they do an EXCELLENT job. We then use the stock GM graphite gaskets also. So far, so good. The Z held up to over 24lbs of boost with that setup and stock diameter ARP head studs. Never even showed any signs of seepage.
FWIW, we've used Cometic 3 piece gaskets, Copper gaskets, o-rings, receiver grooves, and Fel-Pro's. Nothing has worked better than the way I just described.

Hope that helps.
How about us guys with a 4.030" bore? Can you even get a graphite gasket in that size? I am using rubber coated copper.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
How about us guys with a 4.030" bore? Can you even get a graphite gasket in that size? I am using rubber coated copper.
I'm pretty sure this came up in an earlier post and the conclusion was that Felpro made a graphite gasket for the 4" bores. Try a search...
Old 01-18-2004, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a Thread in the FI section dealing with some of these issues... it includes the PN's for those Graphite gaskets....Heres the link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/128323-anyone-been-lifting-heads.html

Quick Reply: O-ring for nitrous, head or block? What Gasket?