Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The correct way to power your harness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The correct way to power your harness?

Ok I'm sure this has been covered before but maybe I'm not searching correctly.

I have a complete 02 Camaro harness that I'm using on 89 Camaro project. I have identified all required circuits and I'm ready to do the final install. My question is does everybody cut off the C101, C105,C100 & C102 and splice the needed wires in order to power things? Or get the male plugs with pig tales and splice off of that (if so from where)? I have read several places where people used fuse/relay panels off of the donor car but I don't have that as an option. I want the install to look as clean as possible so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a fuse block from Current Performance $94. All labeled and ready to splice in.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gtpvette
Get a fuse block from Current Performance $94. All labeled and ready to splice in.

Will that handle a harness with all of the emisisons stuff? Ive got to keep the Emissions junk for my swap and this looks like a good wiring solution. I had planned on using the Truck fuse block.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

...complete 02 Camaro harness that I'm using on 89 Camaro project...
Your 89 will have ample fuse locations and relays to support the new engine. Read over the wiring threads on TGO for how to do this. No additional fuseblock/relay center is necessary

Will that handle a harness with all of the emisisons stuff? Ive got to keep the Emissions junk for my swap and this looks like a good wiring solution. I had planned on using the Truck fuse block.
There really isnt a whole lot more power demand to run the emissions equipment. Usually its a single fuse and several PCM wires. The truck fuseblock will power them just fine given that it has an open fuse slot. The main issue with truck blocks is the fact they are ginormous
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pocket
Your 89 will have ample fuse locations and relays to support the new engine. Read over the wiring threads on TGO for how to do this. No additional fuseblock/relay center is necessary
So should I try and find the male side for all my connectors so that don't cut my 02 harness? I read your thread on TGO (great write up BTW) so I have found power sources that are spare. I just keep reading where people are wiring in relays but I'm not sure which circuits need relays.

My car had BBC in when I got it and previous owner didn't do a very good coversion IMO. For this reason my conversion is more like a generic swap because I don't know where everything was from the factory.

Also I remember seeing where you can order all of the various plugs for for all of the sensors, do you have that link by chance?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Source a replacement 89 harness. I have an 89 manual harness ready to go if needed. It wont work with an original auto care though

This place is great for connectors and info
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx

My second choice is from ebay, which Im pretty sure is the same company because the stock photos are the same
Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

There really isnt a whole lot more power demand to run the emissions equipment. Usually its a single fuse and several PCM wires. The truck fuseblock will power them just fine given that it has an open fuse slot. The main issue with truck blocks is the fact they are ginormous
That is the reason I was hoping for a smaller solution. Sounds like this might be it.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the look of using the factory under-hood fuse block and commandeering some receptacles from a junk car for the open spaces. That way your car uses the same fuses all around and looks factory with the hood open.

There really isn't a single "correct" way but there are lots of wrong ways.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I like the look of using the factory under-hood fuse block and commandeering some receptacles from a junk car for the open spaces. That way your car uses the same fuses all around and looks factory with the hood open.

There really isn't a single "correct" way but there are lots of wrong ways.
Safe and reliable are what Im really after. I don't want to be up in the mountains and have issues.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Fair enough

That fuseblock should do it, but Im not a fan of the different relays in the same block or the high cost for little return. DIY isnt that hard either

http://www.lt1swap.com/fuseblock_obd2port.html
Old 05-18-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Fair enough

That fuseblock should do it, but Im not a fan of the different relays in the same block or the high cost for little return. DIY isnt that hard either

http://www.lt1swap.com/fuseblock_obd2port.html
Yeah, I have been looking that over. I like it, but ideally Im looking from something "cleaner" or more factory like. I guess you can't have it all.

Quick Reply: The correct way to power your harness?