LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Someone explain to me how...

Old 05-17-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Someone explain to me how...

A 160* thermostat is not legal on pollution controlled vehicles? I am just curious, I'm still picking one up just would like to know why.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

My guess is because for a engine to burn cleaner and complete it needs to be at a certain temp. If you changing the operating temp it could make it run rich and it also changes the conditions it was federal regulated by. Thats just my guess in a nut shell I didnt know they were not legal though.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
A 160* thermostat is not legal on pollution controlled vehicles? I am just curious, I'm still picking one up just would like to know why.
Lower temps increase emissions.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Lower temps increase emissions.
Simple as that /\.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
Aftermarket parts require an Executive Order. Even if the part is within emissions tolerances it must still be approved by CARB and issued an EO number. Applying and retrieving an EO number is very costly. That's why you see some aftermarket companies who make 50 state legal engines yet the parts used in said engine may not have an EO number all on their own. The company would rather have the EO number for the entire package than each individual part.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Aftermarket parts require an Executive Order. Even if the part is within emissions tolerances it must still be approved by CARB and issued an EO number. Applying and retrieving an EO number is very costly. That's why you see some aftermarket companies who make 50 state legal engines yet the parts used in said engine may not have an EO number all on their own. The company would rather have the EO number for the entire package than each individual part.
besides for all that bureaucratic BS you have a more complete combustion @ higher temps which is better for all those tree huggers. when we rebuilt the DD 12-71 on the F/V im on we started off with 195 t-stats just so we could get the rings to seat good. after 2 weeks we switched back to the old school 160(165 is the lowest avail. t-stat now) even tho some mechanics suggested switching to 180 to get a more of a complete burn, you can't beat the 160's on a (marine)detriot imo

edit: personally the same 160t-stat(hypertech) has been on my vehicle for 8yrs w/no complaints between that and my rad I've never seen my temps climb over 180 on the hottest bumper to bumper days

Search this Thread