Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Pulling my hair out - Clutch pedal on floor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling my hair out - Clutch pedal on floor

I just purchased a brand new master & slave and installed it. A buddy of mine and myself then bled the system and the clutch pedal is still on the floor. What could we have been done wrong?

We tried bleeding it by popping the clutch pedal up and stomping the clutch pedal to the floor a few times as well as regularly pumping the clutch pedal all while he was under the car working the bleeder valve - after pumping, holding the pedal to the floor, then the bleeder is cracked...then closed. I never allowed the pedal to come off the floor, until the bleeder is closed again. The clutch pedal just sits on the floor and when I pop it up and touch the pedal it just falls to the floor. The part is a new OEM master and new OEM slave.

We probably spent about 10-15 minutes total bleeding the system and the pedal was still on the ground. The clutch is staying engaged and will not disengage. Should we have bench bled the new master before installing it?

Last edited by 427LS7HCI; 05-17-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI
I just purchased a brand new master & slave and installed it. A buddy of mine and myself then bled the system and the clutch pedal is still on the floor. What could we have been done wrong?

We tried bleeding it by popping the clutch pedal up and stomping the clutch pedal to the floor a few times as well as regularly pumping the clutch pedal all while he was under the car working the bleeder valve - after pumping, holding the pedal to the floor, then the bleeder is cracked...then closed. I never allowed the pedal to come off the floor, until the bleeder is closed again. The clutch pedal just sits on the floor and when I pop it up and touch the pedal it just falls to the floor. The part is a new OEM master and new OEM slave.

We probably spent about 10-15 minutes total bleeding the system and the pedal was still on the ground. The clutch is staying engaged and will not disengage. Should we have bench bled the new master before installing it?
Try your question at link below...a lot of clutch boys on there.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/perf...e-results-108/
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously you got air in it.

Personally I recommend buying a remote bleeder with a speed bleeder to make it easier.

Access to the bleeder is a PIA on the vette unless you got some really small hands and arms.

You can try and crack open the bleeder and just let it sit for a few hours open this will allow for the fluid to push the air out.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a remotebleeder/speed bleeder and a mity-vac. I was bleeding the system on my bro's trans am for an hour and the pedal was still on the floor. Went and bought a mity-vac, in 5 minutes clutch was bled.

you can get the remote bleeder line w/speed bleeder from here
http://www.tick-performance.com/

Sears has the mityvac. I beleive some auto parts places carry it too. This is the kit my bro bought
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3
Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI

Do you have a after market clutch? Something like a spec, aussie, or any stage 3 clutch on the car? These heavy duty clutches are a bit too much for the OEM master cylinder. If you feel confident that you have gotten all the air out of the system and the clutch will not disengage properly. You will need to invest some money and buy a "tick". You you hear people who have taken out their stock master cyclinder and done the "drill mod" and have had some success. But the tick works my friend. I just put one on my 02Z and it shifts like a dream now. The tick has alot more volume of fluid that will help disengage the clutch way better than the stock OEM part. It is a bit pricey but work the money. Tick performance sells the part for about $310 + shipping. Hope this helps out.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scramblerman
Get a remotebleeder/speed bleeder and a mity-vac. I was bleeding the system on my bro's trans am for an hour and the pedal was still on the floor. Went and bought a mity-vac, in 5 minutes clutch was bled.

you can get the remote bleeder line w/speed bleeder from here
http://www.tick-performance.com/

Sears has the mityvac. I beleive some auto parts places carry it too. This is the kit my bro bought
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3

This^^^

My setup.

Dirty, week old fluid.

New fluid.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 PM

There's got to be air in it?Go to the dealer and ask one of the mechanics there.
My car did the same thing,came out to get in it and take off and the clutch pedal was on the floor.Mine got fixed under warranty but they said the slave cylinder took a dump,so you definately got the right part,your doing some thing wrong?????? Good luck
Old 06-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it working awhile back. Did the gravitational method bleed and it worked.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I gravity bleed mine for 3 days (had no choice, my helper was my GF and she kept having to work late). finally she had off one day and we bled it traditionally (crack the bleeder, press pedal down, close bleeder, raise pedal, check fluid level) and got it bled in about 20 minutes. super easy. I don't understand how so many people on here have problems with this.

Quick Reply: Pulling my hair out - Clutch pedal on floor