Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

99 SS suspension upgrade-- Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 SS suspension upgrade-- Any Advice?

Anyone happen to have any advice on upgrading/lowering the suspension on a 1999 Chevy Camaro SS? Any advice/links to product... any anything would help, I'm all muscle car turned new style so input from you experts would be great . Thanks guys in advance for your help.
-Garrett
Old 01-11-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to know what it is you want from the car. And "all around performance is not an answer.

What specifically is the car doing that you want to fix?
Old 01-11-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well mainly I'm looking for something to handle well and still be SOMEWHAT comfortable on the street... nothin too stiff =/. Mostly around town/performance handling, nothing serious.. just a good handling suspension . Ah the left rear spring or sway bar is squeeking and I HATE noises.. =/
Old 01-12-2004, 03:43 AM
On The Tree

If you have the money, front 1LE upper and lower control arms, they're light years better than the control arms with the marshmallow bushings that we got stock (make sure that you don't have a 1LE already, though ).

Everybody's idea of somewhat comfortable and too stiff is different, so you need to elaborate there. I've heard that the SLP Level 1 package is pretty good if you don't want to blow a lot of cash, and don't plan on seriously man-handling the car (serious autocrossing, etc.).
Old 01-13-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't the 98-99 SS/WS-6 cars come with the vast majority of the 1LE package?
Old 01-13-2004, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

I'm a big fan of the Level I kit. I've had several spring/shock combos on my SS and though there are better combos for a track car, I found that the progressive springs and matched Bilsteins in the SLP kit gave the best "all around" performance and comfort.

Keep in mind that you could probably duplicate the Level I for less money by purchasing the pieces separately, say with revalved Bilsteins from Strano, etc. and Eibach Pro-kits.

But, honestly, for a daily driver, the Level I kit is hard to beat.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

I recently installed the ST 35 mm front sway bar and it makes a big difference in the cornering of my 99 SS. I aslo have the 1LE rear Bar (21 mm). I am considering utting better shocks on next, but haven't decied if I want to lower the car yet so haven't made up my mind on Bilstein HD or revalved Bilsteins or possibly Koni on the front abnd Bilsteins on the rear. I suggest you call Sam Strano at Strano Parts and talk to him about what your goals are.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks a lot, I'll have to give Sam a call... I have no idea about this new stuff, I'm all oldschool muscle cars so... yeah. Any idea how hard it is to put in a leather interior instead of my cloth? Is it hard to remove it and put in the new seats? Anyone? >_<
Old 01-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have BMR subframe, BMR lower control arms, BMR panhard rod and HAL's on all 4's. It's enough for the car, I have seen other people dump tons and tons of money into their F-Bodies and they all say the same ... it will never handle like they expected after spending large amounts of money.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also swapped cloth to leather, very very easy. About 30 minutes of work, 4 bolts for each seat, two seats for the seat belt clip near the head rest and one plug for the power seat.

Quick Reply: 99 SS suspension upgrade-- Any Advice?