LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My 2010 build thus far...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2010 build thus far...

So it's been awhile since I've invested any real time into the forum so I figured I'd update everyone and let you guys know what I've been up to. 2009 was a rough year for my vehicle personally. In the beginning of the year me and fergymoto were working on getting our setups reliable and back and forth to and from the track in one piece. Looked like it was going to be a good year until I ran my car low on oil and it started putting out bearings.

Something pretty weird must have happened, I used to check the oil weekly and it'd burn a quart between changes and then one week it burnt three quarts in three days. I being the uneducated car guy I was didn't feel it was necessary to check the oil before we went to the track one day so I drove an hour to, made three passes, and an hour home (racing bikes/each other and beating on it) on two quarts of oil! Needless to say it was rebuild time.

Keeping this budget minded we put together a freshly rebuilt stock cubed LT1 with a hotcam and the bolt-ons I already had (most all of them)

The car ran well and I was real happy with the 13.30s I was netting with the hotcam and 4.10s out of a t56 car on street tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjaJTW7dno
Random track footage and cruising with Ferg back when he was running his stock LS1 (gone now)

Well that was all well and good until I found a supercharger kit on the forum here that I had to have. Bought the kit and installed it (after AWHILE), I had to collect the missing parts needed to make it work. It finally worked and I got a mail order tune up. I took that setup to the track and the car went a best of 13.05x @ 104 if I remember right. Obviously hurt, by the end of the track day I had put out two ring lands and a head gasket. That was at the end of the year so I just drove it home and parked it.

Ended up this year I have a little more money to play with (single life kicks ***) so I started putting together some good components. Step one was tearing down of the old block.

Found out that I had a good block to work with and a good crank. I put the rotating assembly in the car that came from the factory. This was the rotating assembly that I ran low on oil. I put everything together and spent weeks in my free time cleaning all my parts of contaminated carbon ridden oil and coolant mixture. I had to rebuild all the lifters and engine brush all the oil galleys and passageways. Needless to say that's a tedious little job that's not little in the least! After that was all done with the help of a local buddy I got it together and was turning it over by hand. It was REAL hard to turn over by hand, I pulled the rod caps off and to my surprised I had semi-trashed bearings already. Yea, they'd been turned over all of about 10 times by hand and they were already showing weird deep wear patterns.

Confused I took the parts to our local machine shop where we have an endlessly knowledgable guru. He quickly figured out that the rod caps/rods weren't true anymore. He put them on a machine that measures the circle pattern when they're torqued down and they were WAY out of tolerance. I had bent rod caps and never knew it in the stock rotating assembly. The crank checked perfect at .001 under which was where we polished it previously.

Luckily Ferg has switched to an LSx base for his LT1 trans am and had a stock shortblock laying in the garage to keep me on schedule.

I put that together and put everything in the car and things are working out pretty well. This was the first time I'd built a motor or installed it in a car so it took me two full days to do all the assembly/installation and re-wiring of the car. Lots of trips back and forth to and from lowes buying hardware I didn't think was important when I was tearing the thing apart and other things like that. I get it all together and running and the stock valve covers don't fit. Now call me ignorant but I went on the word of a rep from Jesel that they would.

I should have known by looking that it wouldn't fit but hey, I figured I'd cross that bridge when I came to it. Well, running good it wasn't driveable so I order some valve covers on eBay. They come and to my surprised they're stock just polished, I go back and re-check my purchase. I guess I just blanked and bought stock ones, they were listed accurately. Send those back and drive to Summit and buy some Cantons. Also listed as working on F-Bodies with Jesel componentry. Negative. I had to beat them with a hammer and heat them up with a torch and grind down some of the accessory bracket but they did end up fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJNlo5KAtQ

This is the car finally in working order, I've been driving it and have put about 150 enjoyable miles on it so far and am looking forward to a good 2010.

Heres the setup thus far....
Stock bottom end LT1
Jesel Sportsman series shaft mount rocker system @ 1.6
Advanced Induction 233/241 .575/.575 110LSA
Pacesetter Long Tubes/ORY
Flowmaster cat-back
RAM muscle car clutch
10 bolt with 4.10s
EWP, !AIR, !EGR, !AC
madtuner.com tune up (haven't run this at the track yet but from what I can tell driving it and such it's a pretty dead on setup so far, ET/MPH will tell to what extent)
COMP 26-918 Beehives (125lbs @ 1.800 / 337lbs compressed)
Any other bolt-ons needed to support the above mods, I cant remember everything right now.

I have a Moser 31/spline 12 bolt sitting in my garage with Richmond 4.10s waiting to be installed and then put into the car before I take it to the track. Hopefully I'll have some track footage for you guys in the coming weeks and all throughout 2010.

If anybody is in the Pittsburgh/Hermitage area that wants to put together some track days get ahold of me!!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:55 PM

You gotta edit about 5 minutes of boring out of that video

Sounds good, looks like you're on your way to a fun year. Did you sell the blower?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Yea the video is a little long but video editing isnt my strength.

The blower was sold with everything I pieced together to make it work. I've since then lost my lingenfelter intake tube and am running and autozone honda civic filter in its place until I either find it or buy another one.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 PM

Planning to get it out to the track soon?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Weekend of the 5th hopefully. I'm thinking it's going to be on street tires as radials arent in the budget yet. It should have the 12 bolt and 2 step at least by then to make me more consistent.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:24 PM
Launching!

So I got the car out to the track on Saturday. I just installed my Moser 12 bolt and was borrowing some drag radials from a buddy. I've never been able to launch my car so I'm back to square one as a driver that day. I set my two step at 4k and launch the car slightly slipping the clutch. The clutch doesn't grab at all and slips all the way through first and most of second, so I roll it out and run a 17.88. I really didn't want the day to go like that. I let it get nice and cool and get a little more aggressive on the launch, I figure less slip less heat more go go.

I didn't use the two step I just launched from around 3500 and the car dead hooks and bogs, turns a 2.10 60 ft and runs 13.10 @ 109.xx. I'm super stoked about the MPH, so after sitting in the beating heat all day long with a helmet on and the windows up I get sick as a dog and end up sleeping in the trailer the rest of the day. Not a phenomenal day to be honest, I had Dan run the car and it went low 13s again.

Next day I take it out to our local 1/8 mile track to figure out how to drive this weapon, the car was working much better but it wasn't quite hooking up the way I want it to. I've got a real bad wheel hop issue I have to chase down when doing burnouts. I wasn't able to heat the tires so it wasn't hooking first gear. I was coming out of the hole at 4,000 on the two step and being real aggressive with the clutch. The car was cutting low 1.9 60s and 2 high 1.8 60s spinning well through the majority of first gear. I ran a 8.11, 8.11, 8.12, and 8.15. I figured its time to bracket race!

I enter the bracket racing portion and wham, I red light by .002 and eliminate myself.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy oil pressure batman!
Old 05-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Yea it is wicked high, I'm going to run lighter weight oil now.