Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I shifting just before the end of my 1/4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I shifting just before the end of my 1/4?

I have a 3600 stalled, 3.23 (GU5) geared, 4L60E and shift points set to around 6500. Makes just under 400 rwhp, 400 rwtq.

I don't know why the hell I wouldn't have noticed before, and I can definitely take a look next time I'm out at the track, but am I shifting just before I cross the traps? I always leave the gear selector in OD, just because I was always told by forum goers that it didn't matter. From what I understand, there is no reason the car would shift into OD right? Come to think of it, it does feel like it's nuts get cut off just before I go to cross the traps (maybe half to three quarters of a second before I hit the end).

Anyhow, just looking for forum member verification before I go out to test it for real.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Teching In

With 3.23's and what I'm going to assume you run with is around a 26" tall tire @ 6500 you should be around 145-150 depending on convertor slippage so I'd say no unless for some reason its set to shift early into OD at WOT.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87LX5.SLOW
With 3.23's and what I'm going to assume you run with is around a 26" tall tire @ 6500 you should be around 145-150 depending on convertor slippage so I'd say no unless for some reason its set to shift early into OD at WOT.
Correct, 26" tall tire, forgot to add that.

That's what I was getting to mainly, to see if for some reason it's shifting early into OD. I will keep it in third at the track to rule out shifting into OD. And see what happens.

Was just looking to see if it was possible or not.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Correct, 26" tall tire, forgot to add that.

That's what I was getting to mainly, to see if for some reason it's shifting early into OD. I will keep it in third at the track to rule out shifting into OD. And see what happens.

Was just looking to see if it was possible or not.
Another thing you may want to watch for is it may be locking the convertor, I cant see that slowing you down as it would probably make it MPH a little more since there is no slippage but that may be whats going on also.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Another thing you may want to watch for is it may be locking the convertor, I cant see that slowing you down as it would probably make it MPH a little more since there is no slippage but that may be whats going on also.
I thought converters weren't supposed to be locking at wide open throttle? Either for or against my benefit. (unless instructed to do so... thinking more along the lines of having it on the dyno, etc.)
Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gaunt
I thought converters weren't supposed to be locking at wide open throttle? Either for or against my benefit. (unless instructed to do so... thinking more along the lines of having it on the dyno, etc.)
You are correct on that, they shouldn't unless tuned to do so but I have seen one in a truck before acting up and locking under WOT even when it was not tuned for it. Not sure what he did to get it fixed as that was years back but weird things can happen.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

You are correct on that, they shouldn't unless tuned to do so but I have seen one in a truck before acting up and locking under WOT even when it was not tuned for it. Not sure what he did to get it fixed as that was years back but weird things can happen.
That's exactly what it feels like, converter lockup. Troubling, but good to know.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i always thought it was supposed to be in D when racing not OD?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jts98z28
i always thought it was supposed to be in D when racing not OD?
It's been the collective opinion that it didn't matter really. You generally won't be going fast enough for it to shift into OD.