LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True Duals?

Ok so I have a 95 T/A, relatively stock, moroso CAI, pacesetter LT's, deleted EGR, what do you guys think about true duals? I hear they can be good and bad, im not worried about cops either. Opinions?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noisy, questionable ground clearance & make no more power than a 4" single system....

I have 3" duals on my car, so I speak from experience.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2 1/2" setup on my car with an xpipe and it isn't "noisy" at all. It's actually very smooth sounding and really comes alive at WOT. I have NO clearance issues at all with mine. OP, I think you would be very happy with the sound and performance of a true dual setup.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does it have a nice idle, like not super loud but then again not silent?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like mine. I'm sure i'll get tired of them eventually, but they sound awesome WOT
Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Does it have a nice idle, like not super loud but then again not silent?
Mine isn't super loud at all at idle. In fact it was a lot more quiet than I expected. The xpipe really smooths out the exhaust and tones it down. But it sounds great
Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone know if you can still run an aftermarket tq arm with a true dual setup?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LadyDriven
Anyone know if you can still run an aftermarket tq arm with a true dual setup?
yes you can but it depends on how you route the pipes.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

3inch true duals here , i wouldnt have anything eles
Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Same 3inch i also dont have a muffler either. I have heard people putting mufflers on both pipes and a cut out to make it loud when they want and quiet when they want. I wouldnt have it any other way
Old 05-21-2010, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Mine starts off as 2 1/4, steps up to 2 1/2 then to 3 inch all before the x-pipe, though it kinda got messed up as I couldnt afford 3 inch and I used some 2 3/4 between the x and the dump 3 inch mufflers at the axle (Not optimal by any standard, but sounds cool anyhow). All my pipe is offset to the passenger side and i could properly finish it if I could get a panhard relocter bracket and bar to run 3 inch pipe over the axle. All in all your not really going to notice much difference in performance with all the mods listed, but it will sound cool if everything is not leaking and held up properly.

Anyhow I am going to redo the system this summer with a new x pipe and a full 3 inch system with new headers on the next car since my motor is going to be swapped over to my other body since the original car is rusting out to bad to save.

Last edited by Transamthunder; 05-21-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 AM
TECH Resident

If you have a custom system made by somebody who knows what they're doing the ground clearance is fine. I have 3" duals and am lowered a bit over an inch. No part of the exhaust sits lower than the stock cat or even some aftermarket offroad y-pipes I've seen. Mine is dumped, but routed like they usually are to go out the back. Essentially you just use an x-pipe with inlets/outlets that face straight forward/back that doesn't send the pipes out toward the side like the summit one does, and run the pipes down the same route as an ORY with the pipes run down the passenger side, but with two pipes all the way back. You can still use a driveshaft loop if you want as well, just choose carefully. I used a Lakewood but I have seen others that looked like they may allow even more clearance. Mine is LOUD, but that's because I wanted it that way and had it set up accordingly. It can sound as obnoxious or as tame as you want really. If you run it out the back and use something like Borla Turbo or some Magnaflow mufflers it won't be any louder than a typical cat-back. Just sound a bit better.

EDIT: This setup is an EXCELLENT example of a well set up TD system. Mine is routed very similarly but dumped.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...cs-inside.html

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Noisy, questionable ground clearance & make no more power than a 4" single system....

I have 3" duals on my car, so I speak from experience.
I don't know how yours is set up, but if you use a universal x-pipe with dumps and bullets that sounds about right. Its not like that's the only way to make duals though as I'm sure you are aware, its just how most of them are done. Nothing really wrong with a 4" single either though. Just a matter of preference.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 05-22-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I have a dual 3" mandrel bent 304 stainless setup. It is beautifully built & tucks against the floor & in the trans tunnel, but the fact is a single 4" is easier to get tucked higher in the car, with the same power capability.

I've done numerous installs of both being an automotive business... some self built & some purchased. Just stating the facts of what I've found over the years.

A large single transverse muffler is easier to mount. 2 mufflers below the floor is not my opinion of excellent ground clearance... no mater what size they are. Mine are located just before the rear bumper, so they are not visible... but the muffler size is limited so noise can be an issue.

Obviously, noise will vary based on power level. My last version with over 800hp, was louder through the full exhaust than my first supercharged version was uncapped. It was 100db at idle 3ft behind the car.

Those of you that run 2-1/2" will not have the same sound or clearance issues.

For coolness factor, duals are the way to go. Recently started using a single 4" & a muffler with dual outlets... best of both worlds.

FYI.. the Mufflex 4" is a great system.

My next setup has 3-1/2" collectors, so it will be 304SS 3-1/2" oval pipe off the headers, to a 4" single, splitting into dual outlets.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

2.5in duals for me and would never ever go back to a cataback! If you are lowered the ground clearance isnt the greatest but its worth the sacrafice imo! I like being able to hear my car well from 1/4mile away

Quick Reply: True Duals?