Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

61 bubble top wannabe.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 61 bubble top wannabe.

My buddies looking at putting an LSX into his 61 bubble top. Wondering if anyone can help him out with some info.
  • Who makes motor mounts for the conversion?
  • Are there any headers available?
  • Are there any fitment issues with the brake booster or firewall?
I found one thread on this board with some good info but it didn't cover the above questions. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Here are pics of the car we are converting.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails 61 bubble top wannabe.-p1010006.jpg   61 bubble top wannabe.-p1010007.jpg  
Old 05-20-2010, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Man, that's a beautiful car Norm! What engine is in it now? 348? 409? If it's a 409, I would leave it alone.

Jimbo
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Launching!

406 cid.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have one just like it but mine is still in kit form. Once the body restoration is complete I will be doing the same thing but I'm fabricating everything so I never really looked into it.

I believe Street and Performance sells a swap kit but their web site is horrible and their prices are high. I'm not sure who else sells conversion kits but I haven't heard of one that fit without various amounts of modification which gets me back to my second sentence. I have a difficult time buying new parts and making them fit when they were supposed to but don't.

There is at least one other guy on this board with a 60's Impala who fought swap headers and other stuff that didn't fit for a Gen III swap.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I have one just like it but mine is still in kit form. Once the body restoration is complete I will be doing the same thing but I'm fabricating everything so I never really looked into it.

I believe Street and Performance sells a swap kit but their web site is horrible and their prices are high. I'm not sure who else sells conversion kits but I haven't heard of one that fit without various amounts of modification which gets me back to my second sentence. I have a difficult time buying new parts and making them fit when they were supposed to but don't.

There is at least one other guy on this board with a 60's Impala who fought swap headers and other stuff that didn't fit for a Gen III swap.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

I think i can help out with this one I have one in my 63belair its not an easy task in that car but it can be done.stock camaro ex. manifolds is what I ended up using it is the only thing I could find to get the exsaust to the out side of the frame.don't have a build thread on this sight yet don't have the time to resize all the picts.but I do have lots of picts on my web site it at www.erodzcustoms.com.there are companys that make conversion mounts street & preformance. I fabricated my own and highly modified crossmember. hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

E.rodz, nice fab work on the body and frame! I thought about doing something like that - I don't like the factory lip on the front and wanted to smooth it somehow. I see you made a notch for the AC Compressor - good to know. I dig the fan shroud, but the rack and pinion is a bit of an odd surprise in a 60's car... cool.

Do you have a shot of the driver's side exhaust similar to the passenger side? I'm curious about space issues.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Efab: Nice work. Thanks so much for replying. I'll make sure I pass on the info to him.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
E.rodz, nice fab work on the body and frame! I thought about doing something like that - I don't like the factory lip on the front and wanted to smooth it somehow. I see you made a notch for the AC Compressor - good to know. I dig the fan shroud, but the rack and pinion is a bit of an odd surprise in a 60's car... cool.

Do you have a shot of the driver's side exhaust similar to the passenger side? I'm curious about space issues.
I looked and i can not find any good shots of the drivers side but it has plenty of room one of the factory flanges had to be cut down because it is huge. but that was an easy task. x framed cars suck for the exsaust!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by E.rodz
I looked and i can not find any good shots of the drivers side but it has plenty of room one of the factory flanges had to be cut down because it is huge. but that was an easy task. x framed cars suck for the exsaust!
Cool. I don't like the factory Camaro flanges and was going to give them the axe anyway.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a buddy putting a 5.3 in a '59 2 door wagon, frame should be the same. He bought the Street and Performance mounts, then found out he had to change to an F-body oil pan because the front of the pan is thicker on the trucks. After swapping pans, it was still VERY close to the crossmember, S&P said if you can get a piece of paper between the two, you're all right! He ended up shimming the stands up to get some more clearance. Pretty sure he is using Sanderson headers, says they fit nice.

Quick Reply: 61 bubble top wannabe.