LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT! Valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT! Valve springs

I have a question concerning a cam upgade. I have a Hot cam bought by a member on here(Trans-am-Z) great seller (thanks). I have looked in the cam section, but did'nt find what i was looking for. I have the cam, harden pushrods, roller rockers. I do not have the springs yet, are they a must replace with this cam.since it has a low lift The motor has about 5,000 miles since a total overhaul/ rebuild. I also have all the gaskets , but was also told that I need the oil pan gaket also, is this correct? I have limited internet here in Afghanistan ( time limits at the MWR) and it is pond water slow.

I'm having this done buy a friend in the states so it will be done and tuned when I return home so the only thing I have to do is enjoy it...

Any technicial or any information at all is surely welcomed.

Thank you in advance....ski
Old 05-21-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At the very least you will need the LT4 valve springs. They are relatively cheap too.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what your question was exactly but you dont always need an oil pan gasket, if the installer is very careful not to tear it when removing the front cover. Even then it can be repaired with silicone if done correctly.

And yes, you need replacement valve springs. I would use comp beehives with the hotcam since it's pretty mild. They should do fine. Comp # 26918
Old 05-21-2010, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used these Isky valve springs and seat locator kits in about three LT1's now and all of them have over 30-50,000miles on them. Seems to be a nice mild spring kit and served my fathers Z, friends Z, and my TA for some good beating and daily driver quality.

Spring part number form thunderracing 91-235-D
Locator's part number 20-10185066
Old 05-21-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ski7541
I have a question concerning a cam upgade. I have a GM Hot Cam bought here. I have the cam, harden pushrods, roller rockers, but I do not have the springs yet, are they a must replace with this cam.

...ski
Originally Posted by gregrob
...yes, you need replacement valve springs. I would use comp beehives with the hotcam since it's pretty mild. They should do fine. Comp # 26918
SKI -

The Comp folks told me (as I have the GM Hot Cam as well) to get the baby beehives #26915s (vs. the 26918s); they said the 8s were too big - so I got the 5s and then found out that a previous over had already made valvetrain modifications to the degree that neither type of beehives would work on my heads.

So, long story short, I have a set of 16 26915s that I'll sell you for half the price of new.

LMK if you'd like 'em - PM / email me - let's make this a win-win.

MIKE
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As it has been said, yes you will need new valve springs. The stock springs can not handle the increased lift of the cam and 1.6 rockers. It is argued that the LT4 Valve springs are designed for the much lighter LT4 Valves, and not the heavier valves found in the LT1. Combining that with the lift of the cam (.525"/.525"), this is basically the limit of the LT4 Hot Cam Valve Springs.

Look into the Comp 918s (or 915s). I'd be weary buying used 918s however, there was a bad batch that have been known to break/crack. So either pick up a new set of Comp Beehives, or the Iskys.

Either way, good luck with it all. A lot of people dog the LT4 Hot Cam because of its mild character, but I promise you won't be disappointed for the money invested and gains you will find.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

At a minimum, I would install a set of Comp 918's.

More than likely, when you drop the oil pan down a little to remove your timing cover, your oil pan gasket with tear or fall apart. That is why it's recommended to get a new oil pan gasket.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:05 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ski7541
I do not have the springs yet, are they a must replace with this cam.since it has a low lift The motor has about 5,000 miles since a total overhaul/ rebuild.
Depends on what springs are in it now.

Quick Reply: LT! Valve springs