factory chrome wheels wont hold air

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default factory chrome wheels wont hold air

yes they are 100% straight with no curb rash or bends, the chrome is peeling inside the rim on the beadlock. discount scrubbed it with a wire brush and got rid of the peeling chrome but the wheel still wont hold air for more than a day or two without going flat.

anyone know how to fix this problem? or do i need to find a place to buy one stock t/a wheel?
seems like a minor problem to have to replace the entire wheel, but discount has no other ideas?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man i worked in a tire shop for 2 years. they need to sand it using an air tool. the sanding disc is like 3 inchs in diameter. then you use some beadseal and use the brush inside the can to put some on the bead of the rim. let it dry then mount the tire. put money on it that will work.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jb7241986
hey man i worked in a tire shop for 2 years. they need to sand it using an air tool. the sanding disc is like 3 inchs in diameter. then you use some beadseal and use the brush inside the can to put some on the bead of the rim. let it dry then mount the tire. put money on it that will work.
I had this exact same problem with one of my chrome wheels on my 97 Z28 and that is exactly what you have to do. When they guy mounted my tires he cleaned the inside if the wheel off with the wire wheel but it didn't hold air so they had to do exactly as mentioned above.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jb7241986
bingo! happend to my friends 97 SS zr1 wheels... they were leaking from the bead so i took a wire wheel to it and put bead sealer all the way around and he has never had a prob since... although once you start taking tires on and off a couple of times you prob want to make sure they do that again cause it will come back after the bead sealer has pealed up.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks a ton guys! i knew the texas section was the right place to put this
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
yes they are 100% straight with no curb rash or bends, the chrome is peeling inside the rim on the beadlock. discount scrubbed it with a wire brush and got rid of the peeling chrome but the wheel still wont hold air for more than a day or two without going flat.

anyone know how to fix this problem? or do i need to find a place to buy one stock t/a wheel?
seems like a minor problem to have to replace the entire wheel, but discount has no other ideas?
you might have to re-chrome the wheel because the air is leaking from under the chrome,out.thats what we have to do at my shop in those situation.we try to sand it but that hasn't work it will just continue to peel
Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

yeah give that a try chrysler kid but like 35thle said fter taking the tires on and off a few times you will need to reapply the beadsealer. glad to give you some help bro. be easy. where you been anyways havent seen you at any meets lately?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could always be as simple as the valvestem not seated well, or the center part of the stem came loose a little

Quick Reply: factory chrome wheels wont hold air