Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing LT's tomorrow...are all my bases covered?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing LT's tomorrow...are all my bases covered?

I've read instructions, some more vague than others but it is what it is.

Existing:
2002 Z-28
SLP Loudmouth I cat back

Going on the car:
Pacesetter coated long tubes, TSP ORY

I bought:
GM metal exhaust gaskets
O2 extensions
header bolt kit (came with headers)
all necessary clamps

I will be putting the car on a lift, and will have access to an air compressor. I know I can remove the steering knuckle and mess around with raising/lowering the engine a tad...

Any other "gotchas" I'm missing that could save me some headaches tomorrow? Maybe my google-fu sucks, but I haven't had too much success finding specific "how to's" other than the obvious.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, I would do motor mounts. Thats what I'm doing when I get started with my Headers and ORY (soon). I don't want to take the risk of the Y pipe Banging and I dont want my engine to shake to death and lose torque over that. Prothane's are what I have in a box right now.

You can also get spark plugs and wires. That would be great, unless you just changed them. If you haven't gotten any then get TR-55 if you plan on staying N/A or of you plan on using a power adder then use T-6's and MSD Plug wires.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Well I dont have any new motor mounts on hand, so I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers. The plugs/wires were changed within the last 5k miles, so I think I'd be safe reusing them?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evo462
Well I dont have any new motor mounts on hand, so I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers. The plugs/wires were changed within the last 5k miles, so I think I'd be safe reusing them?
You'll be alright w/o the new motor mounts, it's just recommended because some have issues w/ Y pipe banging. Your plugs and wires should be okay also as long as you take them out when you're doing your swap.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i bet you need new MM.......that rubber does not last forever......no better time than when doing headers ........the wore out rubber will make you engine rock and bang your Y
Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i bet you need new MM.......that rubber does not last forever......no better time than when doing headers ........the wore out rubber will make you engine rock and bang your Y
Exactly. Do them now while its "easier" when the headers are off then doing them another time later. Do it once and forget it. The Prothane poly's are $50 dollars with everything included. If you want to go crazy then you can get Solids for $150 but if its a street car then you can stay with poly's.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Save your knuckles and some time and pick up a 10mm ratcheting wrench, if you dont have one already.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Having finally finished my Poly MM + Headers/Y last night, Im gonna post a new comprehensive writeup with lots of pics of MM and Headers/Y install this weekend. Luna, I believe, wrote a "Best Poly MM writup Ever" thread that was my Bible this past week, but I needed pics, so I took as many as I could.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cyberkill
Having finally finished my Poly MM + Headers/Y last night, Im gonna post a new comprehensive writeup with lots of pics of MM and Headers/Y install this weekend. Luna, I believe, wrote a "Best Poly MM writup Ever" thread that was my Bible this past week, but I needed pics, so I took as many as I could.
Awesome, I will be doing the same install that you just finished hopefully next weekend so I'll be looking forward to your write-up!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

I did not have to remove anything steering related when I did my pacesetters. On the drives side I had to grind a little of the tab on the back of the block and they slid in. Passenger side I had to move starter out of the way..

I did replace motor mounts and glad I did since one was starting to tear.

Don
Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

The passenger side slipped right in for me effortlessly. The driver's side required removing the steering linkage, but it only took about 10 minutes to remove and reinstall. Hopefully all the hard work will be worth it once I get it tuned properly...

I'd say the total time spend on the install was probably 12 hours over two days. Had to do some Y pipe modification to get everything to line up properly with my catback.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the "Do the Motor Mounts NOW While the Exhaust is Outta the Way" category.

Just know this: If you choose not to do the mounts now and you do end up with a banging Y-pipe, you will have to completely remove your new Headers & Y, in order to get to the mounts so they can be upgraded.

Good luck with your install.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed and reinstalled my pacesetters on jackstands in the garage.. i believe i dropped the starter, and that was it.. Pull your plugs and wires before you start, and make sure you disconnect the battery.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

[/QUOTE]I'd say the total time spend on the install was probably 12 hours over two days. Had to do some Y pipe modification to get everything to line up properly with my catback.[/QUOTE]

What mod did you do to your Y-pipe to make things line back up?

Don
Old 05-25-2010, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by evo462

I'd say the total time spend on the install was probably 12 hours over two days. Had to do some Y pipe modification to get everything to line up properly with my catback.
What type of mod did you do to the Y-pipe to make things line up?

Don
Old 05-25-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

I trimmed about two inches total from two pipes on the drivers side of the y pipe because no matter how far i pushed the y pieces together and onto the collectors, the drivers side was too long and it prevented me from pushing the catback far enough forward to be on the exhaust hangers. Aside from that it fit pretty good as far as clearane under the car is concerned.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyo210
Awesome, I will be doing the same install that you just finished hopefully next weekend so I'll be looking forward to your write-up!
In case you're wondering, I'm just getting started typing up the directions and leaving placemarkers for the pics I have for now, if you want to get an early read. I've got about 80+ pics waiting to be edited, but going to take a couple more later too. Gotta edit them to add the circles, arrows, and etc.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html