Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical probs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical probs...

couldn't quite figure out where to put this thread, move it if you must.

1998 trans am, mostly stock.

My car randomly freaked out yesterday and is still in the grocery store parking lot.
When I went to start it, all the instrument cluster lights flickered with the key in the on position and then when the key turned to start, all the lights/car went dead. when i removed the key, something behind the dash has a rapid clicking/beeping noise. Now all the electrical is dead. A jump start did not work. I'm planning to go over there and pull the battery and test it as soon as the battery in my other car charges (when it rains it pours).

The car has not been able to start for the past 14 hrs. Anybody ever had this problem?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

ok so i disconnected the battery for 10 min to get it checked out (which turned out to be fine) reconnected it. and then the car started.

this is the second time in 6 mo. and the answer seems to be disconnecting the battery for a short period of time....any ideas on what the heck is going on?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The last time I had wierd battery issues like that, it ended up being some cake in the battery leads and the contacts. Also, I didn't tighten the positive terminal all the way once and had similar issues. How old is the battery?

Also, you said the clicking happened AFTER you took your key out? Was the clicking much like the starter clicking when battery is dying?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

battery leads and contacts are pretty good, the battery was from june 08 and is an 84 month die-hard or something.

And yes the clicking happens AFTER i remove the key. there are two types and locations of clicking. somewhere behind the dash/glovebox is a rapid click click clicking when I took the key out. The other clicking is just a touch slower and originates from within the fuse box located on the drivers side front of the engine bay. when I disconnect one of the connectors going into it, the clicking stops, but the car also no longer has power.

like I said it's 'fixed' for now, but it's very very odd.