Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much to cut the rear bump stops for Eibach Pro-Kit springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much to cut the rear bump stops for Eibach Pro-Kit springs?

Has anybody here that has Eibach Pro-Kit springs cut their bump stops? If so, how much? Any disadvantage to cutting them instead of getting aftermarket ones?

Alternatively, anyone know any good websites that sell aftermarket bump stops?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Hey Dave, why do you want to cut the bump stops? Are you talking about cutting them so they are shorter? If you do that you will allow the suspension to come up into the fender farther when it compresses and possibly causing your tires to hit the fender. This is why bump stop spacers are generally recommended for 17 inch and bigger wheels to extend the bump stop to prevent the tires from rubbing against the inner fender when the suspension travels. I am not 100% sure if 17x9.5 wheels need them, so I got them anyway..25 bucks is cheaper that repairing a fender and/or tire.

FWIW, I have BMR springs, 17x9.5 wheels, and bump stop spacers on my car. Never have had any rubbing issues.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chad01Z28
Hey Dave, why do you want to cut the bump stops? Are you talking about cutting them so they are shorter? If you do that you will allow the suspension to come up into the fender farther when it compresses and possibly causing your tires to hit the fender. This is why bump stop spacers are generally recommended for 17 inch and bigger wheels to extend the bump stop to prevent the tires from rubbing against the inner fender when the suspension travels. I am not 100% sure if 17x9.5 wheels need them, so I got them anyway..25 bucks is cheaper that repairing a fender and/or tire.

FWIW, I have BMR springs, 17x9.5 wheels, and bump stop spacers on my car. Never have had any rubbing issues.
Well ever since I've had the Eibach springs my car has been hitting the bump stops hard. I was told it'd help to trim the bump stops down. EDIT: or to get aftermarket bump stops that are for lowered cars but I can't seem to find any.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Ahh, ok. First time I have heard of that, learn something new everyday.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Do not cut the bumpstops..... You'd still contact them, but cutting them makes them softer and you'll push right through them. I don't see any mention of aftermarket shocks in your sig, if that's true that's the issue. Not even that you are touching the stops (we do even stock), but the shocks have no oomph to control the rebound of the spring and bumpstop compression together. The result is a very abrupt rebound, which the shock should damp out, but stock ones, or improperly matched aftermarket units, can't do.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Do not cut the bumpstops..... You'd still contact them, but cutting them makes them softer and you'll push right through them. I don't see any mention of aftermarket shocks in your sig, if that's true that's the issue. Not even that you are touching the stops (we do even stock), but the shocks have no oomph to control the rebound of the spring and bumpstop compression together. The result is a very abrupt rebound, which the shock should damp out, but stock ones, or improperly matched aftermarket units, can't do.
Ah ok. Yeah I plan on getting some Bilstein shocks but I haven't yet.

I'm looking into getting the Bilsteins on this page.

http://www.fasttoys.net/9398fbodyframes.html
Old 01-12-2004, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bilstein HD's are a bit weak for the Pro-kits. This is why often I revalve them to help damp the spring rate up front and to help transient response. In the back, I actually have all but switched over to using a 3rd gen rear shock. It has a different valving that works better with the relatively soft Pro-kit rear spring rate.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperDave479
Ah ok. Yeah I plan on getting some Bilstein shocks but I haven't yet.

I'm looking into getting the Bilsteins on this page.

http://www.fasttoys.net/9398fbodyframes.html

If I may be so bold as to suggest giving Sam Strano a call. He can match your shocks to the application better than buying "off the shelf". Sam spends considerable amounts of time on the message boards helping guys out, on his own time, for no charge. And, we have all benefitted greatly by his generosity. I'd think it would be worth a few extra dollars (that is assuming that his prices are higher, I'm not sure that they are) to purchase parts from the guys that try to help you out (I'm not sure that you'll ever see Fast Toys on here helping out, but I may be incorrect on that). You may want to give Sam a chance to get you the shocks you need. I suspect that he can help you cure your problems and that alone may be worth any potential difference in price (maybe in saved money from not buying stuff you don't need). It just struck me as kinda funny to see a sponsor try to help out, have his reply quoted and then see a link to a product on another vendors page in the reply.....maybe I'm just funny that way.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off on a "mini-rant".....
Old 01-12-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trackbird
If I may be so bold as to suggest giving Sam Strano a call. He can match your shocks to the application better than buying "off the shelf". Sam spends considerable amounts of time on the message boards helping guys out, on his own time, for no charge. And, we have all benefitted greatly by his generosity. I'd think it would be worth a few extra dollars (that is assuming that his prices are higher, I'm not sure that they are) to purchase parts from the guys that try to help you out (I'm not sure that you'll ever see Fast Toys on here helping out, but I may be incorrect on that). You may want to give Sam a chance to get you the shocks you need. I suspect that he can help you cure your problems and that alone may be worth any potential difference in price (maybe in saved money from not buying stuff you don't need). It just struck me as kinda funny to see a sponsor try to help out, have his reply quoted and then see a link to a product on another vendors page in the reply.....maybe I'm just funny that way.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off on a "mini-rant".....
Hey, I'm new to the whole suspension thing. I didn't realize he was a sponsor. Didn't mean to step on any toes.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry Dave, off topic...

Sam, what shocks do you recommend for BMR springs? Regular or HD Bilsteins or do you have a revalved Bilstein for the BMR's? I plan on purchasing some shocks sometime in the next few months. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dave,

No problem. I didn't mean for that to come off as being harsh (and it did, sorry). It seems to happen alot, and often from those who know. So, it wasn't directed at you exactly, you just happened to be standing there. I apologize for making it appear as if I was picking on you directly.

Sam can get you what you need, possibly better than most in that department. www.stranoparts.com is where to find him or give him a call. I often see guys get help on here from Sam (and others) and then go elsewhere to save $5.00 a shock. Guess I'm having a bad day or something.....
Old 01-12-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Dave,

No problem. I didn't mean for that to come off as being harsh (and it did, sorry). It seems to happen alot, and often from those who know. So, it wasn't directed at you exactly, you just happened to be standing there. I apologize for making it appear as if I was picking on you directly.

Sam can get you what you need, possibly better than most in that department. www.stranoparts.com is where to find him or give him a call. I often see guys get help on here from Sam (and others) and then go elsewhere to save $5.00 a shock. Guess I'm having a bad day or something.....
No problem. I'm checking out the site now.

Only problem is, I don't see any adjustable panhard bars or LCA relocation brackets (somebody point them out if I'm wrong plz). I may have to get those shocks from you though Sam, that's a good price.

Last edited by SuperDave479; 01-12-2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chad01Z28
Sorry Dave, off topic...

Sam, what shocks do you recommend for BMR springs? Regular or HD Bilsteins or do you have a revalved Bilstein for the BMR's? I plan on purchasing some shocks sometime in the next few months. Thanks.

You can use HD's, but that's even more of an issue with lack of damping than with the Pro-kits. I've done shocks for BMR springs many times.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SuperDave479
No problem. I'm checking out the site now.

Only problem is, I don't see any adjustable panhard bars or LCA relocation brackets (somebody point them out if I'm wrong plz). I may have to get those shocks from you though Sam, that's a good price.

Sam may not have them on the site. I'm sure he can get you what you need.

Oh, and good afternoon Sam.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Cool

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You can use HD's, but that's even more of an issue with lack of damping than with the Pro-kits. I've done shocks for BMR springs many times.

Good deal, I'll be looking you up when I am ready for the shocks. Thanks Sam.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Sam may not have them on the site. I'm sure he can get you what you need.

Oh, and good afternoon Sam.
Yep, found out he does have them. Thx for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: How much to cut the rear bump stops for Eibach Pro-Kit springs?