Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stall install

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stall install

i just put in my Vig 3200 stall, i have the motor and trans out already for other reasons so the install was pretty easy. But after getting all the bolts in that attach the converter to the flex plate i noticed that there was a little bit of play with the converter, basically the bolts are as tight as they can go but i can grab the bolts and wiggle the entire converter a little bit. That just doesn't seem like something you should be able to do.

If anyone has any ideas what i might of done wrong or what i didn't do please let me know, i'm wanting to get the motor back in this weekend but i need to finish installing the converter before i can finish the rest of the stuff...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for that.. i'll see if i can find some other bolts for it.

One other question though, does it matter if i use a regular bolt instead of going back with the hex head? i hate using the hex head bolts..
Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Be sure to check the converter clearance, your install instructions should let you know how much spacing is needed between the flexplate and converter. A feeler gauge is useful to obtain proper clearance. Use washers to fill in the needed gaps because the converter will draw back and close the gap. Also converter bolts should've been provided by PI, if you bought it new.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
The bolts are too long. Good find now, rather than at start up.

The converter has blind bolt holes.

Standard bolt design requires a thread engagement 1.5 times the bolt diameter.

So to find the right bolt length you need to multiply the diameter times 1.5 which comes out to 15mm, add the flexplate thickness, any shim thickness.

And double check by screwing it into the converter until it bottoms out, the gap left over should be smaller than your flexplate and shims (if used).

For future reference to other people, this should all be checked before the converter goes into the transmission.
great info I all most the same mistake

Originally Posted by ddcook07
Be sure to check the converter clearance, your install instructions should let you know how much spacing is needed between the flexplate and converter. A feeler gauge is useful to obtain proper clearance. Use washers to fill in the needed gaps because the converter will draw back and close the gap. Also converter bolts should've been provided by PI, if you bought it new.

if no feeler gauge try and use 1/8 a drill bit end
( I have been instructed that 1/6 in too close and 3/16 in too wide)
ps: use a good grade bolt get from the GM dealer OR from the converter maker
good luck Johnny
Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ddcook07
there is the problem then, i didn't buy it new. I'll call them today and see about getting some new bolts for it.

thanks guy!!

Quick Reply: stall install