General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clutch to the floor, loud clunking noises help! (update)

Old 05-26-2010, 05:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch to the floor, loud clunking noises help! (update)

i was driving today and i did a quick, not very strong pull shifting at around 4k rpm, from 2nd to 3rd to 4th letting off at around 70-80...next time i start my 93z 134k (2-3k on clutch)...when i push the clutch all the way to the floor to put it in first i hear this clunking sound..ONLY when the clutch is all the way to the floor "clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk" and i can feel it in the pedal too...

what the hell is goin on! i wasnt driving it THAT hard surely i didnt break anything... did i push the clutch in too hard and knock something out of adjustment like the stop for the clutch pedal or somethin?... id appreciate any input on what is clunking!!

Last edited by Chrismikeb; 06-21-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the hydraulic fluid reservoir, little tiny thing behind your driver hood strut, and flush the fluid if you've never done it, or fill if low. i flush mine every 3-4 months. should be a write up on here... try that for starters, but sounds like it could be more...
Old 05-27-2010, 05:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

(im guessing these are pilot bearing/bushings?) when me and my uncle pulled the tranny because the throwout bearing shattered on me we replaced the clutch/pressure plate also (didnt need to only had about 10k miles but we did anyways), he was rushing the **** out of everything and i noticed these 2 bearing/bushing we didnt use when i got back home. but since the throwout bearing blew on me before im guessing the owner before me didnt replace it or the pilot bearing...could this be the problem?
Attached Thumbnails clutch to the floor, loud clunking noises help! (update)-0527100504-00.jpg   clutch to the floor, loud clunking noises help! (update)-0527100504-01.jpg  

Last edited by Chrismikeb; 05-27-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rabbit320
check the hydraulic fluid reservoir, little tiny thing behind your driver hood strut, and flush the fluid if you've never done it, or fill if low. i flush mine every 3-4 months. should be a write up on here... try that for starters, but sounds like it could be more...
thanks for the suggestion i actually didnt know it needed to be changed, i dont think it could have been any darker lol...but that didnt help any
Old 05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You didnt switch to an adjustable master did you?

You definately should have replaced the Pilot bearing. How did the end of the input shaft look? Was it torn up at all.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

the previous owner replaced the master and slave when he did the clutch job so it has about 10k on it i dunno if its adjustable or not...and honestly, i didnt know much about anything goin on i was new to all this when me and my uncle pulled the tranny, i dont think the shaft was messed up...and i realize now he didnt say anything about the pilot bearing because i hear its a bitch to remove and he was rushing everything
Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The reason i ask is because with an adjustable master, you can overextend the slave cylinder and cause all sorts of problems.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

well that could be the reason the throwout bearing shattered on me in the first place and maybe causing this...how do i check if its an adjustable one and adjust it?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take the bottom panel of the dash off, its like 4 screws, and look at the rod that connects to the clutch pedal. if its threaded, or looks like it can be lengthened in any way, its adjustable. Some people retrofit the stock one to be adjustable, some people buy aftermarket adjustables ones like the Tick.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok i just checked i couldnt see or feel any threads or anything to adjust it by...i also noticed when the car is off and i begin to push the clutch in i can hear squeaking kinda like a door on a old house coming from under neath the car (where the slave pushes on the fork im guessing) i dunno if thats normal, i cant tell if its doing it with the engine on cuz exhaust is to loud
Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just pulled the slave off the trans in the off chance i might find some pieces of metal or a bent fork...didnt find anything except that the fork that disengages the clutch seems to rattle around alot but im not sure if thats normal
Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i didnt even realize you had an LT1, the hydraulics are totally different i dont know anything the LT1 hydraulics
Old 05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont think the problem is in the hydraulics theres something making a knocking noise in the tranny when i push the clutch in all the way
Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

something is obviously loose or not turning concentric. Perhaps your pilot bearing is shot. when the clutch is engaged, the input shaft is held in place by the clutch disc, but when you push in the clutch, the only thing to support the input shaft now is the pilot bearing.

idk man, if it doesnt look external, about the only thing you can do is pull the trans back off. Sounds like you have a major problem, or something is loose somewhere.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya i know i gotta pull it i was just hoping it wasnt internal i think u maybe be right about the pilot bearing...its the only thing we didnt replace...somethin so small ***** everything up lol i appreciate the help man
Old 05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

i read the title of this thread "clutch on the floor..." and couldn't help but think of the song "pants on the ground..."

clutch on the floor, clutch on the floor, lookin' like a fool with your loud clunkin' noises, help!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i read the title of this thread "clutch on the floor..." and couldn't help but think of the song "pants on the ground..."

clutch on the floor, clutch on the floor, lookin' like a fool with your loud clunkin' noises, help!
lmao..the title is actually "clutch TO the floor" but ill give u that one made me laugh lol
Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

i finally got my car to a good guy at a shop...he says its the throwout bearing (again) making all that racket, the ring that holds it onto the fork is about to give out, which it did do last time about 2000miles ago...

i dont understand why this is happening again! i bought the car almost a year ago and the guy recently replaced the clutch and all that, think it had 2k on it when i got it, then i put about 6k on it and the throwout bearing ring shattered...so we replace the clutch PP and T-bearing, 2k miles later its givin me ****...is it a bad clutch fork??

one of the selling points for me buying this car was a recent clutch job...now ive dropped the tranny twice in less then a year...oh the irony...

Search this Thread