Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going on road trip friday and i need your help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Going on road trip friday and i need your help!!

1997 trans am A4. About 1 time every 2 weeks my car will throw a code for the tranny. Code reader says Transmission Compnet Sliping. The car shifts firm in every gear even at WOT, so im assuming its the common coverter Problem they have (cant remember the code). After a long drive it will go into limp mode. My limp mode it just shifts like a beast from all the line pressure but i have read that it is supposed to loose 1st and OD but it dont.

So my question is, would I be stupid to take this car on a 18hr round trip like this or will the tranny be ok? Also when it goes into "limp Mode" is it not locking up the coverter? And if its not will i be ok?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brando5641
My limp mode it just shifts like a beast from all the line pressure but i have read that it is supposed to loose 1st and OD but it dont.

So my question is, would I be stupid to take this car on a 18hr round trip like this or will the tranny be ok? Also when it goes into "limp Mode" is it not locking up the coverter? And if its not will i be ok?
Its common to have codes or limp mode if you dont have a tune after a converter install. You didn't say if you had an aftermarket converter.. Limp mode is 3rd gear only, manual second but not with your car and no lock up. So if you have 1st and OD thats not limp mode. Without knowing what the code is or what converter you have it will be hard to help....
Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a 3600 stall in my SS, it started kicking out of lockup, id clear the fault your describing, it would go back to lockup and shortly thereafter kick out again. Eventually it stopped locking up because the lockup in the converter ate ****. I parked the car, and found lots of the converter clutch material in the filter. I would not drive it if you suspect this is the case. I never do road trips if I suspect my tranny is not 100%.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry is it a Stock conv. The fluid looks good and it have a flush and refill about 3 months ago. I cant feel the conv. lock up ( I never had one that was hooked up) but i have never felt one lock up so i dont know if it is even noticeable.

So i guess its not going into limp mode..... It shifts like its got a stage 3 shift kit and the light sometimes comes on and some times it doesnt. I will put a reader on it tomorrow and see if it stored the code but i usually pull the PC fuse to get the SES off so i dont know if it will still be there.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't take it on a trip right now. Read the code then go from there.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Check for codes i bet you have an p1870 which puts the trans in high line pressure.It is a tcc problem causes are 1 bad converter 2 bad lock up solenoid 3 stator bushings in the pump 4 tcc regulator valve is worn in v/b or afl valve is worn I would not drive any more until you fix it high line is very hard on parts
Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, you have the dreaded P1870 issue. You are probably also getting a neck-snapping 1-2 shift even at very little throttle. I bet you also don't have OD when it does this, right? My guess would be the TCC regulator valve in the valve body. Sometimes you can get away with just clearing the code with a scan tool and it will leave you alone for a little while, but if it is kicking out of lock-up in 4th and locking out 4th, you could burn up the trans because of the heat the torque converter generates when not in L/U.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

I checked the codes and............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................P1870

SOOOOO im not going to drive it..
I know this is a common problem but were do i start...