Subframe Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subframe Connectors

I've got a brand new set of UMI's Tubular SFCs- Bolt in. I plan on installing these tomorrow.
Any tips/suggestions, and besides installuniversity, is there another site/write up on doing this?
Yes they are bolt in, and I plan on having them welded later on down the line, but I just want to get them on the car.
For those of you that have done the install yourself, how long does it take, roughly?
I read through installuniversity's article and it doesn't seem too bad. But, working under the car laying on my back can make even the simplest job tough. I know from experience to never assume a job to be easy.
Thanks for any insight you guys can offer.
Btw- I've read (at least with BMR's) that the rear end needs to be under load, so ramps would be ideal. However, I've also read that supporting the car by the frame with jackstands is okay too. Can someone clear this up for me?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there really isnt a whole lot to them, i can't imagine it taking long, even having to be on your back underneath the car
Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Thanks for choosing UMI Performance! It should only take around 1 Hr for the install. Just make sure you do one side at a time (seeing how you have to loosen the rear control arm) you don't want the rear to shift. And I always suggest make sure that the vehicle is level to eliminate any possible chassis binding issues. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Thanks for choosing UMI Performance! It should only take around 1 Hr for the install. Just make sure you do one side at a time (seeing how you have to loosen the rear control arm) you don't want the rear to shift. And I always suggest make sure that the vehicle is level to eliminate any possible chassis binding issues. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Brad, you've been VERY helpful today. Quick responses and great customer service.
Thanks again man.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I installed mine about 3 weeks ago. It took me an hour to install. I was on my back also.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Put mine on a lift at the muffler shop so it would be even... no chasis bind...
Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Teching In

You should be able to do it on your back.
That is how i did them on my car.
An Hour or so is all it should take.
You might need a second set of hands to push the rear tire foward a little bit when re-attaching the lower control arms/ rear of the subframe connector.
But it was one of the best mods ive ever done to my car.
You can really feel the difference after the install.
Good Luck!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. I was lacking the front mounting bolts. Of course, I didn't realize this until I had the car jacked up, one of the LCAs unbolted, and was test fitting the passenger side SFC. Doh!
Hardest part was jacking up the car.
Should have it done by next week when I get my bolts!
Old 05-29-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

i drove the front on ramps. The only difficult part I ran into was getting the bolt to alighn with the lca's and sfc.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Just what I was told when I did mine was that you want to lift the car and set it back on it's wheels on wheel stands so that when you put the sub frames in the car it's not twisted in any way. If you think about it you Jack up on side the frame is going to twist and your going to put the subs in and keep some of that twist. Is it true I'm not sure but it does seem to make sense dosnt it???

But I do have the double diamond weld in subs not sure if that matters becuase it was not aligning to bolts.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got them in today before work. Woot.
Thanks again Brad!
Now, to put them to the test and see if I notice any differences. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 06-05-2010, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Got them in today before work. Woot.
Thanks again Brad!
Now, to put them to the test and see if I notice any differences. Anyone got any ideas?
bad *** burnout vid ftw. then go slay some mustangs *** from a dig.
or if your interested in a new clutch, dump it at like 5k and see how she feels...

ok, im done being a jackass. but seriously, if you wanna video tape anything mentioned above, i'll watch it.