Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Identification

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Identification

I have been searching on many sites, and have found nothing, so hopefully someone here can help.

I just purchased a 1998 Aluminum block LS1 to put in a sand rail. I need to buy a new oil pan gasket, but the ones listed do not match my setup. I have no idea what the PO did to (or with) the engine, and can not get ahold of him to ask.

The gasket I have is just the rubber type that sits in a groove in the oil pan (it is missing pieces, so must be replaced) there is no aluminum on this gasket, it is just rubber.

The oil pan has casting number 125515688C on it, and has a sensor on the side that looks like a low oil indicator?

I know this pan is from a different year than my block, but everything fits and should work. I have the pickup tube for it and it is all ready to go except the gasket is bad.

I just need to know what replacement gasket to order.

Thanks in advance for your help
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pan Identification-oil-pan-bottom.jpg   Oil Pan Identification-oil-pan-number.jpg   Oil Pan Identification-oil-pan-top.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This a great sticky from the conversion section...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html

I think as long as you use a wet sump gasket you should be ok.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the link. Here is the trouble. My oil pan looks like the correct one for an F-body (which matches the engine) but the thing about the gasket is that my original gasket was actually a rubber seal that sits down in a groove which is about 3/16 inch wide and 1/4 inch deep (pict 0046). The oil filter section actually has two separate rubber o-rings that seal the two oil lines that go down to the filter (pict 0047).

The aluminum / rubber combination, one piece gaskets I have been finding place the rubber portion of the gasket down in the groove on some parts of the pan but in other parts, the rubber is out of the grrove and riding on the flat mating surface of the pan (pict 0049 & 0051). I am very worried that this scenario will cause severe leaks because the gasket will compress and seal VERY unevenly. On top of that, the groove for the original seal is so large that where the rubber potrion of the gaskets will just fall in the groove and not be compressed much at all.

I really just want to be able to buy another rubber seal and call it a day, however, I am just not finding any listings anywhere.

Thanks once again
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pan Identification-img00046.jpg   Oil Pan Identification-img00047.jpg   Oil Pan Identification-img00049.jpg   Oil Pan Identification-img00051.jpg   Oil Pan Identification-img00048.jpg  

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Identification