Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Is this going to look right when blended?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Exclamation Is this going to look right when blended?

I have been working on a custom front license plate cover and sent it out to the body shop to get final prep and paint. The paint is way too dark (way darker than the bumper cover, which is already slightly darker than the rest of the car), but he says he'll blend it and it'll look ok. I am now having second thoughts. What do you guys with experience think?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

he'll want to blend your whole bumper i assume. I think that's fine, it'll look better, just don't let him paint the sides, then you start to get into the fenders looking different too.

Also - can he create a better color match? I had a repair on my daily driver I wasn't happy with and they had to bring in a rep with some special camera to take a picture of the color to match it closer. It was an acura silver.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

I think he's intent on using the darker paint he already mixed for the cover, to blend with the rest of the bumper. I don't think he has any plans for mixing up a new batch of paint, painting it, and not charging me. I don't think he has the proper equipment to get a perfect color match. Worst case I take it somewhere else and have them do it for a ridiculous sum.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

see if you can live with it. If the rest of your car hasn't been painted, I'd be hesitant to start spraying that front bumper now just for that license plate bracket. or you can go to a paint store have them create a better match and have him re spray it...
Old 05-28-2010, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

The bumper and the drivers side mirror were repainted at the same time. I can tell because they are a color/orangepeel match and are slightly darker/duller than the OEM paint. The hood I bought used and already painted in pewter. It is a little darker than the OEM paint as well but does not match the bumper... Most people don't notice. Sometimes I wish I was colorblind. LOL.