Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a coolant leak this bad from just the gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone have a coolant leak this bad from just the gaskets?

Hi:

I have a drop of coolant under my driver side water pump gasket which I will be taking care of soon. My 99 Z28 is my weekend warrior so no worries there. I also noticed the decently sized amount of coolant on the underside of my water pump and on the bottom of my oil pan, as you can see in the pictures. I also have a pic of what the pavement under the water pump looks like. It looks like there is some oil in there, which may be from my car, but maybe from the car that parked in that spot before me, since I live in an apartment and don't have a house.

Can anyone confirm whether my leak could be just from the gaskets? Or do you think that the water pump is dying because of the size of the leak? The car came with a water pump from a Corvette when I bought the car at 105K miles, so I have no idea about the mileage/age of this water pump. The car has 133K miles on it right now.

QUESTIONS
1. If it is the water pump that needs replacing, what are you guys doing for replacements? Dealer Only?
2. What about the two gaskets, only get those from the dealership as well?
3. This is kind of random, but a road race car would want a mechanical (stock style) water pump and not an electric, correct?
4. Does anyone know if the Corvette and F-Body water pump pulley are the same, size wise? If the pulleys are different sizes, I might have to buy a different belt. I do have the Katech adjustable tensioner though.

RANDOM QUESTION
Does anyone have a diagram or know the routing of the power distribution center? It might be called something different that this. As you can see in the pictures from the zip ties on the sway bar, my ground (black) wire, is run along my swaybar and my power (red) wire starts over by the fuse box and is run across the top of the radiator, both ending up at the battery (Thanks Lethal Performance! ). I'd really like to get these wires in the correct places, and I have searched and not really found anything useful, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
jdoyle

If you need any more information regarding my situation, let me know, and I'll post it up.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a coolant leak this bad from just the gaskets?-dsc01429.jpg   Anyone have a coolant leak this bad from just the gaskets?-dsc01430.jpg   Anyone have a coolant leak this bad from just the gaskets?-dsc01431.jpg   Anyone have a coolant leak this bad from just the gaskets?-dsc01432.jpg   Anyone have a coolant leak this bad from just the gaskets?-dsc01433.jpg  

Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take a stab at this.

If a water pump is dying, it typically leaks from the weep-hole between the bearings on the shaft area and will drip down the bell or get flung around by it. -Bad seal on the inside of the pump.

I used GM Gaskets for the WP. As far as the EWP goes, if you want to spring extra for it go ahead. I typically helps flow a little more coolant to keep the car cool while you are parked.

CMIIW..
Old 05-30-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help man. ya its gotta be dead. i noticed more coolant running down the front cover this afternoon/evening when i was trying to figure out why my low horn doesnt work.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i had just a few ........oh **** drops on the bottom of my pump.......got a NEW bosch pump at pimp boys 110$......it came with factory style gaskets......i think all LS1 pumps are the same......no?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

^ I've read a lot of people getting Auto Zone and Average Auto "Duralast" pumps and not having a problem with them.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else have any experiences with the Duralast water pumps?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for two years and not one leak. And the best part about it is that if it ever leaks it's got lifetime warranty so I'll get a new one every time it goes out.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

bumpp
Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

has anyone ever put any caps on the four ports of the water pump (2 different sized ones for the heater core, one for the water pump snout up top and the last for the lower port where the thermostat goes) to keep the coolant in the water pump and off of the A/C compressor until you can fully remove the water pump from the block?

if so, does anyone know the sizes for those 4 ports?

those sizes would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

just an FYI for anyone who may be searching in the future...

the thermostat housing gets 11 lb ft of torque.

and if you take off the idler pulley to torque down the 6th water pump bolt, the idler gets 37 lb. ft.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jdoyle
has anyone ever put any caps on the four ports of the water pump (2 different sized ones for the heater core, one for the water pump snout up top and the last for the lower port where the thermostat goes) to keep the coolant in the water pump and off of the A/C compressor until you can fully remove the water pump from the block?

if so, does anyone know the sizes for those 4 ports?

those sizes would be greatly appreciated.
use paper towels instead