Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

pushrod length question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pushrod length question

Guys, I just finished a head swap on the 3800...I bought 7.00" pushrods thinking I will need to be a little shorter now that I have a total of .016 off the heads (including the gaskets) and considering my other pushrods were 7.05"

I don't exactly know how to check length, so I kinda just watched both pushrods in the heads as I manually cranked the engine, both seemed to look fine, so I opted to put the shorter 7.00" just for good measure. With the rocker arms fully torqued, and the rocker unsprung on the valvespring, I can rotate the pushrod, but not lift it.

After firing her up, I have a tick in my valvetrain...I am thinking it could be the pushrod is too short...so my main question is...I need the car for work monday, how much harm can be done if I drive it to work assuming the pushrods are too short, then pull her apart monday night and fix it? Can I cause alot of damage?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a tool to figure out your pushrod length. I'm doing mine tomorrow. If your pushrods are not the correct length they will prematurely wear out you valve guides. I dont think it happens over night but don't quote me on that.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: pushrod length question