General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition, electrical, starter problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition, electrical, starter problems?

I have a 2002 Trans Am and today I tried to start it up and the engine turned 1/2 time and then suddenly the entire car went dead. I tried several times after that to crank it up and I kept hearing the starter just click. I started with my battery and took it to have it check and they said it was dead. They tried recharging it for me and said it still needed replaced. I bought a new battery and replaced it and I am still having the same problem. My car has power until I turn the ignition.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? I am pretty technically retarded because I have never had to work on my vehicles. I can't get it outta the driveway to take it anywhere and really don't want to call a rollback. Anyone else have any similar problems with their TA? Is there something grounded it my ignition or starter? Will it be hard for me to fix on my own?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start by checking your grounds. Then check to see if you have voltage to the starter. If that checks out then you could have a short in the starter or could be a solenoid. So i would take the starter out and have it tested.