General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Problem.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Problem.

I recently bought a cheapo gauge and some 134a because my a/c was a bit low on freon, and could be a lot colder, it was at 37 psi @ 90 degrees outside, anyways, i got it to about 50psi according the the gauge, which it was 90 degrees out, so 45-55 was the spec, well it ended up taking like 2-3 small cans, and it was definitely much colder.

Anyways, 2 days later, I start the car up, kick the a/c on and I hear this loud vibration and grinding noise, the compressor appears to be going on and off.

So, I pull over, inspect it, raise RPM's, and it's a distinctive clicking noise coming from the compressor, and BAM, out shoots freon or compressed air from what I think is a pressure relief valve? only lasted a second or two, or some kinda safety thing, I'm just at a loss.

Any ideas? I really don't wanna get raped on A/C, i'm bringing it to a guy I know tuesday so he can check it out, this sucks lol, I bet compressors for these things are expensive.

I have also read that if the safety valve opens like it did for me, it may just need a pressure switch, hopefully it's that or a clutch..bummer!

Last edited by mischief; 05-30-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking it in to someone is the right thing to do. You blew the relief valve, probably due to an overcharge.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

yeah the whole system only holds 1.5lbs which is 2 cans and if you already had some in your system and added 2-3 cans you had waayyyyy too much in there and you prob screwed something up
Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Launching!

No ****? the little 12 OZ cans? I guess that piece of crap gauge is what I should have not went by, well i suppose I learned a lesson this time around, I didnt know much about a/c, and dont have the sticker on the air box showing how much a/c it takes.

thanks a lot tho man.

It only holds 1.5lbs? doesnt seem like much.

Did I damage anything you think? when I bring it in I'll let him know I overcharged the system, hopefully my compressor is ok, I'm thinking the safety valve will save my *** I hope, will it need replaced?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

You possibly damaged the compressor, although the relief valve is there to hopefully prevent that. You for sure stress tested the system. As long as the relief isn't leaking it should be ok.
The cheapo gauges that come with a can of refrigerant are worth exactly what you pay for them.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Launching!

I see, well the noises the compressor is making I don't think is normal, but it could be, I feel pretty stupid.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Another can of death. . . . . .

Either take it in or get the correct tools.

Yes, you could have fucked up some serious ****. . . . .
Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 AM
Launching!

Well, I just released some of it with a rag and a screwdriver while the car was off, and everything is working properly now, a small amount of oil or die came out but nothing too serious, I guess I luck'd out this time around, it may still be overfull but..

My neighbor has proper 134a gauges and knows a/c so I'll have him check it out first, before maybe having it evacuated and refilled.

Search this Thread