Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting and Idle problem with my 02' Z28 Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting and Idle problem with my 02' Z28 Help please

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post this.

just today i was driving to the store, as i was almost there my radio turned off and my gages went haywire. I coasted into a walmart parking lot and killed my car. After that i tried cranking it again. It clicked once then after that it would not do anything. So i popped the hood and wiggled the battery connections, hoping it was just a poor connection. Tried starting it, nothing, finally after a few tries it finally cranked after jiggling the connections a few more times, but when it got started, the rpms (not just the gauge but the actual idle and all) started bobbing back and fourth from about 400rpms to 600rpms, it finally after a while settled around 500. Usually im sitting at about 8 or 900rpms of course. It would barely stay cranked without killing over.
It ran strong all the way home except when id push in the clutch or put it in neutral at a red light, then it would bob back down to about 500rpms. I know my battery is good as i checked it myself twice at work less than two weeks ago. Any ideas? im stumped. My guess would be the alternator? Had a bud of mine tell me it could possible be the grounds to the battery, i understand the gauges messing up, but would that also explain the weak idle?

and a little bit off topic, another quick question, i have a power steering leak, pretty sure its not the resivore, when i turn the wheel all the way to the right i get a lot of smoke (as its spitting out on the manifold) Heard that would be the high pressure hose. How hard is that to replace? I have a bud with a lift, we will just do it our selves.

thanks for any help
-Adam
Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

providing that there is no electrical gremlins your best bet would be to take it to a tuner.

if it is something electrical. good luck.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I wish there was just some electrical gremlins i could just exterminate and then BAM, strong running car lols.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

hahaha if only it was that easy. i think your first step is to check all your sensors.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Do you think it could be from realllllly clogged up cats? Because my cats are clogged, my 02 sensor is the only code that comes up.
I just thought about that, ive heard of people having a problem similar to mine due to cats. Though i could be way off. Ya think?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the battery was disconnected, as it sounds like it was, the computer will have to relearn some parramiters.
This may be the problem.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vaticano
If the battery was disconnected, as it sounds like it was, the computer will have to relearn some parramiters.
This may be the problem.

I had taken the battery off about two weeks ago, (a whole other story) and then i connected it back, but i have drivin it just about every day since then?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam D.
Do you think it could be from realllllly clogged up cats? Because my cats are clogged, my 02 sensor is the only code that comes up.
I just thought about that, ive heard of people having a problem similar to mine due to cats. Though i could be way off. Ya think?
Do you have the stock cats on still.
I got a recall notice about them going bad.

A bad o2 sensor will cause fueling issues as well.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vaticano
Do you have the stock cats on still.
I got a recall notice about them going bad.
On 02's?
and i couldnt tell you, i bought the car used, and the guy before me had some after market exhaust, im not sure exactly what, but he put stock back on to sell it. Its very possible they are the stock ones though. I REALLY dont wanna have to deal with that just yet though, im trying to hold off a little bit longer until i have a little extra money for a better exhaust system, or until i can find someone to just gut em. (as i cant weld)
Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the recall on the CATS.

If the o2's are bad it can cause a rich condition that will eventually clog the CATS.

You can also check your plugs.
Not saying you do but, I have an oil issue that fowles the plugs and it idles real bad until I clean them.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Ill have to take a look, im pretty stumped other wise on all of this.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You just have to eliminate 1 thing at time. If i think of anything else I'll let you know. I'm no machanic myself, just plugging away trying to save a buck.

Try unplugging the IAC as well. That's what controls the idle. It's on the upper drivers side od the throttle body.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Thank you very much man, ill try it when i get back home. Itll probably have to be tomorrow. Ill take a look at it then. And yea fer sher if you can come up with any more idea, id greatly appreciate it!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

how many miles are on the car? it might just need a good going through. when was the last time you did the fuel filter? could be the cats or the o2's, who knows how long the cats sat in the previous owners garage collect dust and cob webs. now wouldn't be a bad time to either ditch 'em or upgrade them.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check the actual bolts that hook up the battery, in my experience if those are corroded then it could cause the car to run rough. and barley start and stay at idle when first started. At least that is what mine did, in fact I even took it to checker auto and they tested it and said it was a bad alternator, good thing I checked for corrosion.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
Check the actual bolts that hook up the battery, in my experience if those are corroded then it could cause the car to run rough. and barley start and stay at idle when first started. At least that is what mine did, in fact I even took it to checker auto and they tested it and said it was a bad alternator, good thing I checked for corrosion.

i was hopeing it would be something so simple, but there is like no corrosion at all, but i could just have bad cables possibly? i work at sears in automotive, ill see about getting the techs to take a look at it whenever i can get it up there
Old 05-31-2010, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
how many miles are on the car? it might just need a good going through. when was the last time you did the fuel filter? could be the cats or the o2's, who knows how long the cats sat in the previous owners garage collect dust and cob webs. now wouldn't be a bad time to either ditch 'em or upgrade them.

Im just about to hit 130k
and your probably right, it does need a good going through, i havent changed the oil filter since ive had it.. ive had it for about a year and a half? maybe longer...
just been goin through a rough time with money and all.
My cats ARE bad though i know for a fact, and i believe my 02's are comin up on a scan last i checked.
and yea, i plan on ditching those cats asap. Been plannin to do that for the past couple months, just havent had the money, or people around to know how to help me out with it.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

lol sounds to me like you've known your problem for a while....but if i were you i'de keep jacking with ****. never know what you might find.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 AM
Teching In

yes and no lols, i mean it could be several things, but yea there has been a lot of things ive been needing to take care of. Ill keep tinkering and see what all i find lols