General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Smokes on startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smokes on startup

I bought a 04 gto and it puffs out a cloud of blue smoke when i start it up....It also smokes a lil when you get on it hard.. also blue....You guys thank it is valve seals?...Im really hoping it is not the bottom end. The motor only has 48K miles. The guy i bought it from did a cam and valve spring swope on it himself......What do you guys thank the problem is?......
Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Smoke on start is normally valve stem seals. Smoke on WOT may or may not be.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When my valve seals were bad my main symptom was a HUGE trail of white-blue smoke when I went WOT from a cruising speed like around 40-50. As I stayed on the pedal WOT and kept accelerating hard that trail would gradually go away. Its that sudden drop of pressure when you nail the pedal that sucvks oil in from the valve covers through the leaking valve seals. As it equalizes it stops sucking the oil in and clears up.....at least this is what my head shop told me and thats exactly what happened with mine.

I took my heads off and had the valve seals replaced......100% fixed.

Are you losing coolant.........could be coolant. Blown head gasket.

Could also be a bad PCV system, which will make raw wet oil pool in the bottom of the intake, then when you nail it you get a white-blue cloud of smoke when that oil gets sucked into the cylinders.

Pull a couple spark plugs on both sides, see if the threads have raw oil on them....thats a sign of bad valve seals. You should pull all 8 and check them though.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue smoke on startup is valve seals. I bet is this do-it-yourselfer either didn't change the valve seals or damaged them when he installed them.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Default thanks

Yeah i agree im going to take the hose off that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body first....Then from thier i guess a new set of patriots are in order....Thanks again..
Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like my old Camaro. . . It puffed a fat cloud on start up then a cloud when I hit it to the floor.

A very good chance in it is the valve seals. . . . . Most likely went bad on the install or they were crappy seals. Mine was caused by high *** mileage, my motor had close to a 1/4 mil.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scottie dont
Yeah i agree im going to take the hose off that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body first....Then from thier i guess a new set of patriots are in order....Thanks again..
Try that, yes. But you will need to clean any pooling oil out of the intake. If there's some in there, it will last for alot of runs and still cause blue-white smoke.

Best way to clean it is to remove it and fill it with degreaser and shake the hell out of it, then fill it again and let it sit for a few hours. If not, spray a whole can of MCCC into the intake through the TB blade and let it sit in there for a couple hours. Then you'll have to drive it for awhile to let it clear out. I can run long q-tips or a white rag on the end of a rod all the way into my intake and they will come out perfectly white....there's literally not a drop of oil or any dirt in my intake. I removed the PCV system completely after I removed it and chemically cleaned it a few months ago. Its great.