Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extremely Raspy between 2-3k?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely Raspy between 2-3k?

With Longtubes and ORY is your car extremely raspy between 2-3k? Especially 2500? Ive got a 408 with kooks LT's and kooks ORY with Magnaflow Catback. Also have a cutout which I run open most of the time. At about 2500rpms it just makes this horrible sound. Very hard to describe.

Here is a vid of my old wrecked camaro with that setup. Hopefully you can tell what part im talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7Ls80bwhA

I know its the y pipe thats causing this because it sounds alot different with open headers. Is it just the Kooks y pipe that sounds like this or do all y pipes sound like that?

Im also considering getting a different catback because the magnaflow is too quiet for me and running open cutout all the time gets pretty obnoxious. I want something alot louder than the magnaflow but not obnoxiously loud. Maybe something like a borla or loudmouth with the XR-1 muffler....
Old 05-31-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's all y-pipes, hell even an x-pipe can do it if its got a loud enough muffler like a lm1. what do you think the purpose of a muffler is?

i love my set up. and i'm about to through a cut out on it as soon as i get some extra coin.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

well i know its going to be raspy with no muffler, but theres this specific sound it makes at 2500rpms. I know this sounds kinda stupid but if you could hear what im talking about, it just sounds like **** at that specific rpm. It sounds absolutely amazing otherwise. I suppose I just need to get the right catback so i dont have to run the cutout open all the time.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

i know exactly what you are talking about. but i don't understand what you are getting at...

my exhaust set up is pretty good at hiding that obnoxious rasp at the rpm you are talking about. if you are curious i can post pics etc. you can check out my videos too. but it's not cheap. i am running a much milder set up than you and running a much bigger system behind it. i suggest you upgrade. but thats just my .02
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kooks LTs ORY and magnaflow, I know exactly what rasp you are talking about.

I believe magnaflow is kind of raspy already... LTs and ORY doesn't help any, regardless of brand.

If I were you and you are wanting to change I would go to an Xpipe and 1 chambers... Absolute SEX!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

What im getting at is that I want to get rid of that specific rasp sound i was talking about and find the right catback so I dont have to run the cutout open all the time. I would also like to make the most power from my exhaust setup but can I really upgrade it much further than it already is? Is my kooks ory limiting my power? I could get a bigger catback like you have but what else can I really do?

Your car sounds sick btw
Old 05-31-2010, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My last ls1 had lts ory magnaflow and it was raspy. Current car has lts ory borla and it is raspy to. The borla is louder and imo sounds better which may be what your looking for sound wise but your not gonna get rid of the rasp. Its just the way it is.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
What im getting at is that I want to get rid of that specific rasp sound i was talking about and find the right catback so I dont have to run the cutout open all the time. I would also like to make the most power from my exhaust setup but can I really upgrade it much further than it already is? Is my kooks ory limiting my power? I could get a bigger catback like you have but what else can I really do?

Your car sounds sick btw
thank you, and imagine how it will sound with a 4" cut out.

what can u do? fm merge. it's that simple, any competent exhaust shop can weld one up. and i really like my spintech, some people don't but i kind of don't give a **** what other people think. and it made good power so that **** about them not flowing is bs.

here is the thread i made about it. pics included.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...installed.html
Old 05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
My last ls1 had lts ory magnaflow and it was raspy. Current car has lts ory borla and it is raspy to. The borla is louder and imo sounds better which may be what your looking for sound wise but your not gonna get rid of the rasp. Its just the way it is.
WRONG. i have some rasp in mine at WOT at redline and decel. BUT the rasp the OP is talking about is gone. at 2500 there is nothing nasty or raspy about my exhaust, especially at anything less than WOT.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
WRONG. i have some rasp in mine at WOT at redline and decel. BUT the rasp the OP is talking about is gone. at 2500 there is nothing nasty or raspy about my exhaust, especially at anything less than WOT.
Compared to an X or H your car has a ton of rasp still in it all over the place. Compared to other Y pipes it might not.

The only way to get away from rasp is to go to an X or H. With a Y you are going to have rasp no matter what, no way around it. There are definitely ways of getting around it, like brian is saying his is, but it will never be as rasp free as TDs are.

You can have a TD setup as quiet or quieter than some full exhaust setups, just depends on how you set it up.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Read my thread about "Can't stand the sound". My rasp is worse than yours. I think I'm going to try a bullet inline after the y pipe and before the muffler.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

my TD set up was pretty raspy, it just got muffled some by the bottom of the car. and x-pipes can be raspy as **** as well, just like mustangs with x-pipes that have all that rasp. it all comes down to the design of the exhaust. mufflers used, angles used, length of pipe, number of bends, diameter of pipe etc etc. also catted vs o/r makes a huge difference as well. pretty much any o/r set up out there is going to have an amount of rasp depending on the muffler.

also my car in person is extremely deep but my little POS camera doesn't pick up how deep the car is. so all you hear in the videos is the higher end.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

case in point my TD's with bullets were raspy too. extremely deep...but raspy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1zk-tqQdX8

it's all personal pref i guess. and we can argue it till we turn blue in the face.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

That "horrible noise" is what's usually called trumpets. From my experience with hearing a lot of different y-pipe setups, the ones that don't have a very good merge have horrible trumpets. I had this problem for a while as well, so i purchased the flowmaster merge and it pretty much cured it. As well as a lot of raspy drone.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

I guess you can say mine is more resonating than raspy to me. My car sounds about like yours while it is idling. It is the resonating that I cant handle.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
I was talking about my cars and I wasnt talking about any specific rpm. I had rasp on all my cars so im not wrong.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Its the merge. I have a 440 stroker with Magnaflow catback, kooks long tubes and a flowmaster merge and I have no rasp.

Last edited by 2002gt; 06-02-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

nope, I have just a tiny bit of rasp.. What killed all my rasp is a combo is my FM merge and my bullet muffler in the I Pipe
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cats will fix that. worked on my rasp
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to try a resonator after the y pipe. If that doesn't do it then I'm going to try the FM merge.

Quick Reply: Extremely Raspy between 2-3k?