Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do you know when the clutch is going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know when the clutch is going?

This is my first manual car, so I am not to familiar witht the signs when the clutch is going out and not the tranny itself.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:29 AM
TECH Addict

If it slips at all. A manual trans cant physicaly slip in any way. If you can put the car in 4th or 5th going down the road and give it some gas and the rpm's rise but the cars speed doesn't, your clutch is gone. If you here any type of metal on metal sound but only when you are engaging the clutch and not after it is fully released, that could also be the clutch. However, there are a lot of little things that may be hard to tell and without you giving some symtoms of what you car is doing, its hard for us to help you determine if its the clutch or your trans.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Banned

T56 will usually have signs of an issue or needs of rebuild. Usually popping out of gear is one. Difficulty going into a gear is another.

Clutches can lost a long time even after lots of abuse. When I changed my stocker for a monster I still had lots of life in the disk after 66k, lots of spirited driving, and track passes.

To test a clutch, engage the ebrake and dump the clutch in 1st gear. If you're engine doesn't turn off immediately after clutch engagement your clutch is slipping.