Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help installing the front R series Hals.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help installing the front R series Hals.

Ok...Ive got the rear done! Im so relieved! I know the fronts are going to be much harder to do...so Im ready for it! LOL However, I was skimming through the instructions and they seem to be really critical! There seems to be lots to do rather than just throwing them in there. As you can tell, Im no shock expert because I was needing help with the rears, so I was needing all the help that I can get for the fronts. If you have any help that you could share with me, I would greatly appreciate it. If there are any tips or things I should watch out for, that would be great too. Thank you so much.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not R series Hals shock install but you get the idea what it will take to do a swap, http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6 .

Al
Old 01-13-2004, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the link! As long as it will work for the Hals, cool! I just want to make sure that I install them correctly and everything that goes with it. Theres all kinds of stuff that came with them. Besides the shocks, I have the modified spring perches, a stainless steel ring about the size inside diameter as the outside diameter of the shock, 2 black thick rings with notches in them, and then of course the bushings and whatnot. In what order does all that stuff go in?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have a look at this too:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/116793-f-bod-front-spring-shock-how.html
Old 01-13-2004, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the link. However, I got the assembly out, got the spring off, and now Im just wondering how the Hals go in. Do I use the dust cover with the bushing inside of it on the Hals? The bushings and washers that the Hals came with, do I use them? Do I use any of the old stuff at all beside the very top portion with the studs sticking up and the little rubber piece that goes on top? Ive gotten really far thankfully, but Im just wondering how the shock needs to be assembled before I put it back in. The links have been really helpful, they got me this far, but it doesnt explain how the Hals are supposed to be assembled and put back in. Can anyone help me out? Im in the middle of doing this, so Im going back and forth from here to the garage! Thanks.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

The dust covers are not necessary, in fact I can't recall if they would even work with the HAL's.

What springs are you using?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Stock springs.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

I guess no one wants to help me out. All I need to know is how to assemble the Hal so that I can reinstall it in the car. It came with 4 washers, 2 nuts, 2 bushings, 1 ring like washer, and 2 notched plates for each shock. I think I know where the ring like washer and 2 notched plates go, but the rest I dont. I just want to make sure that I get this right before I put it in. So far this is what I got. I first spun the smaller notched plate onto the shock, then the bigger one, then the ring like washer, and then the modified spring perch. I then slipped it through the spring. I dont know if anything should go on the top of the shock, or I just put the top rubber spring seat on and then the smaller rubber piece on and put the 2 nuts on it. Is that how it should go? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Wow...118 views, 7 replies with 4 of them being my posts. No one has any input on the install/assebling? Ive read all the links provided, exept it doesnt have the specifics for Hals. I had so many replies when I asked what shocks for drag and strip, but no one can comment on how to install and assemble them? Im still stuck on the fronts. I got the rears in, but I just need to know how to assemble the front ones so I can get them back in. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThaBeaSSt
Wow...118 views, 7 replies with 4 of them being my posts. No one has any input on the install/assebling? Ive read all the links provided, exept it doesnt have the specifics for Hals. I had so many replies when I asked what shocks for drag and strip, but no one can comment on how to install and assemble them? Im still stuck on the fronts. I got the rears in, but I just need to know how to assemble the front ones so I can get them back in. Thanks.
Sorry, man it's just that it's been a while since I installed mine and can't remember how the top goes together. If I could figure it out, certainly it can't be that difficult. The bottom of the spring sits atop the black rings, one locking the other, with the large "washer" between the spring and perch. (discard the stock spring perches, btw). The top goes back together like stock, except you can't reuse the dust cover (don't need it) Other than that, I can't help you without having it my hands...