LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Problem

im having a problem with my car... it will start up an run an drive for about 5 to 6 mins then just shut off out of nowhere.. i sat an held the rpms at 2 grand one time an after about 5 mins it just shut straight off an wont start again for about another 5 mins.. i got a new opti an coil in it so i know its not them causin the problem.. any advice i would love to hear what you's mite think my problem is..

thanks shawn
Old 06-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Teching In

also i've had the car hooked up to a scanner checkin all engine vitals an it stalled 3 times hooked up to it an threw no codes ?? im thinkin something is overheatin an shuttin the car off an then when it cools down it fires right back up.. im thinking fuel pump going bad??
Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ignition coil maybe.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Or a loose wire at the ignition switch, but normally if its that when you turn the key it wont do anything. But mine would do what your describing ONE of the times i had a bad switch
Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Teching In

i replaced the ignition coil an it still does it
Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

im thinking possibly fuel pump........if its on its way out i could be overheating and shutting down .......check the fuel pressure and wait till it stalls see if the pressure drops
Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you have this problem before the new opti or did you install this opti in an attempt to fix this problem?

The reason I ask is because I had a brand new opti do this to me. Once the car warmed up the optical sensor would stop working and the car would just shut off with no codes. If you have access to a scanner (I used a Snap-On MODUS) let the car run until it shuts off on it's own and then check for both high and low resolution signals while cranking. I replaced the optical sensor with one from a known good unit and the problem was solved (until the rotor exploded).

If this problem existed with the old opti as well as the new one then it's unlikely that this is the cause of your problem.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: LT1 Problem