Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Possibly buying my first F-body soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying my first F-body soon

I have been searching for my first f-body for quite a while now. I know pretty well what to look for and everything since I've been obsessed with these cars for a long time and lurking here for a while, but id like some input from people who actually own the cars.

I just found this car and I'm thinking of going to look at it but its about 40 minutes away. It's only the second one I've seen with these stripes so I am curious as to what they are. I'm assuming they are aftermarket but just curious.

Also, do you think that is a good deal on this car? I need a dealer car for financing and this is the cheapest LS1 car I can find with reasonable mileage on it at a dealer. (Thank you Chicago haha) Opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.

P.S. sorry for the long post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dimmu_Slayer
I have been searching for my first f-body for quite a while now. I know pretty well what to look for and everything since I've been obsessed with these cars for a long time and lurking here for a while, but id like some input from people who actually own the cars.

I just found this car and I'm thinking of going to look at it but its about 40 minutes away. It's only the second one I've seen with these stripes so I am curious as to what they are. I'm assuming they are aftermarket but just curious.

Also, do you think that is a good deal on this car? I need a dealer car for financing and this is the cheapest LS1 car I can find with reasonable mileage on it at a dealer. (Thank you Chicago haha) Opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.

P.S. sorry for the long post
Why do you need a dealer for financing? You can get a loan through a bank or credit union, and probably for a better rate.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by me6894
Why do you need a dealer for financing? You can get a loan through a bank or credit union, and probably for a better rate.
I agree with that, you would probably be able to find a less expensive car if you don't buy it from a dealer as well. When I bought my Camaro, all of the dealers were a few thousand more than a third party and I ended up with a great car.

As far as the stripes go, it looks to be aftermarket to me. It may be some sort of anniversary or special edition, but I doubt it. For example the 35th anniversay Camaros had a custom paint job and interior. Hope this helps and happy hunting.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Hello, I dont want you getting fucked over by this dealer!! read the fine print.........ADVERTISED PRICE IS BASED ON A CASH SALE. FINANCE PRICE VARIES. CHARGES APPLY TO FINANCED SALES...
Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

those are aftermarket. 1999 was the anniversary year, not 2000 and they had 2 blue stripes on the ram air hood.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all possible, go look at the car with someone who KNOWS about fbodies, someone you trust, possibly a good friend for a second opinion. You could probably knock down the price for a little.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Launching!

If your willing to drive to st.louis. This looks a little better in my eyes! and its 2g's cheaper. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/1767896843.html
Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Def aftermarket stripes... But, I would say.. Wait!!!!! Something will pop up... trust me..
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Wow sorry I haven't been on in a few days, but thanks for the advice guys. Kornboy especially for pointing out the charges for financing. I'm definitely starting to think I should expand my search to other areas, even a lot the owners around here expect to get unrealistic amounts out of their cars,and in some cases try to sell them for more then a dealer would.(saw a 2000 z28 auto with about 130k for 11 grand)

As for why i was looking at dealers, I was always told that it's easier to finance a dealer car and would get a much lower rate. I also want something unmolested, I honestly don't think I need anything much faster then a close to stock car(for now at least ) I'm not a wuss about it but any of my friends LS1's I've driven have just seemed plenty fast to me.

I was jerked around with a car I was looking at. He kept raising the price because he "found more receipts" and when I asked to see these receipts, he said he couldn't find them but he knows the work was done so i kind of started to shy away from buying a car from the owner.

I'm going to go to a few banks sometime next week to see if they can do anything for me as far as a loan.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dimmu_Slayer
Wow sorry I haven't been on in a few days, but thanks for the advice guys. Kornboy especially for pointing out the charges for financing. I'm definitely starting to think I should expand my search to other areas, even a lot the owners around here expect to get unrealistic amounts out of their cars,and in some cases try to sell them for more then a dealer would.(saw a 2000 z28 auto with about 130k for 11 grand)

As for why i was looking at dealers, I was always told that it's easier to finance a dealer car and would get a much lower rate. I also want something unmolested, I honestly don't think I need anything much faster then a close to stock car(for now at least ) I'm not a wuss about it but any of my friends LS1's I've driven have just seemed plenty fast to me.

I was jerked around with a car I was looking at. He kept raising the price because he "found more receipts" and when I asked to see these receipts, he said he couldn't find them but he knows the work was done so i kind of started to shy away from buying a car from the owner.

I'm going to go to a few banks sometime next week to see if they can do anything for me as far as a loan.
Dealers do not have the best financing. If anything, try a credit union. I got a loan for 8% less than what my own bank would give me.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM

Good thinking expanding your search, I drove across two states to pick my car up. Like you said, its better to find something stock too, that way you can do whatever you want to it when you're ready. Good luck

BTW, I've got Dimmu Borgir playing in my car right now
Old 06-08-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

about a year ago, i found a 2000 ss with 75,000 on the body and some motor they found in a junkyard, and the dealership was trying to sell it for 16,000 bucks (that was $6000 over bluebook at the time. that was the biggest rip off of the century
Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
about a year ago, i found a 2000 ss with 75,000 on the body and some motor they found in a junkyard, and the dealership was trying to sell it for 16,000 bucks (that was $6000 over bluebook at the time. that was the biggest rip off of the century
lol nice