General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Temp Gauge Fluttering between 1/4 mark and 210

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Temp Gauge Fluttering between 1/4 mark and 210

Hi guys I'm having a problem with my 02 z. The problem started pretty randomly the other night when Im driving the cars temp gauge will suddenly start fluttering beteen normal or close to it to about the 1/4 mark sometime it will act completely normal other times this happens. The temp sensor was only 8 months old and I just replaced it again to be sure and I have the same issue. I would think if it was a ground wire the gauge would peg out.... Are there any wires I can check besides the common ground wires to test the temp sensor wiring the plug looks ok and I was going to check it with an ohm meter but im not sure if the wire is supposed to have some resistance? Also I know there is a ground on the back of the heads, one on the ds side of the block and another on the passenger going to the battery...am I missing anything?
Thanks Dan
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

one other thing that i seemed to notice is that the car gets up to operating temp seemingly without a hitch its after about 10 min of driving this starts to happen...
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 01 WS6 and it does the exact same thing. Car has 80,000 mi. just started a few weeks ago. Do not know why.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

sounds like the same issue. I confirmed this morning that it only happens after the car is completely warmed up getting to the 210 mark is no issue but after a few mins there it will start to flutter. I checked all the grounds and they seem to be ok.... im stumped
Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Update: I used a 200ohm resistor as I heard this would simulate operating temp to the computer... well the gauge was doing the same thing so i checked with a voltmeter and got 1.89 volt when hot which fluctuated a few tenths of a volt when the thermostat would open or close. So this is telling me that the sensor is giving a correct reading to the computer. I also checked the pcm and made sure all the pins were clean. Does anyone know what pins on the pcm control the temp gauge id like to check them next.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine did the same thing took forever to find the problem. Somehow the wires were showing i guess they touched the header and shorted out covered them with electrical tape and havent had a prob sense. also i noticed when replacing the sensor the aftermarket ones never worked like the factory gm ones did just a thought.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya my wiring was fine all the way to the pcm consistent voltage at the sensor and pcm. I finally did figure out the issue its in the gauge cluster the gauge works correctly when it wants to and when it doesnt if I knock on the glass a couple times the gauge instantly goes up to normal...looks like ill eventually need another cluster.