LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Do MSD wires fit in the stock looms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do MSD wires fit in the stock looms?

I did a search but didn't yeild any definitive answer so i will ask here for those who have them do the 8.5 wires fit in stock looms and if not what have you done to keep them neat and orderly, not touching each other, and away from headers.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i put 8.5mm super conductors on my firebird last year, and i didnt put them in the stock locations because the stock locations are stupid

ran them up underneath for easier changes in the future, and they're just fine there-no issues at all
Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't really fit in the stock looms as their 8.5mm and if I remember correctly the stock wires are 7mm. Although they do kinda sit in there and adding a few zip ties to hold them in works great. And they do fit in the stock rails that bolt under the head on the block.

Hope this helps
Old 06-03-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't quite fit, but you can make them work. Or if you have headers (which I assume you do looking at your setup) and haven't bought the wires yet you could get a cut to fit kit and take the opportunity to go OTVC. Everybody has their preferences but I just love the simplicity of the OTVC routing.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa Hanford?! Is Hong Kong Chop Suey still open?!

They are long enough that I just used a ton of zip ties on mine to keep them away from headers. I will admit that mine do touch each other though, I'm hoping that with how they are this doesn't cause any issues. I also was paranoid and wrapped them in insulating tape wherever I thought they might be able to touch. I never pop the hood on this thing so I didn't care how ugly that looked.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine fit in the stock looms and whatever you call those plastic things that clamps around them and separates them. They are snug, but they fit. Only place that I had to modify anything was the plastic piece that wraps around the bracket behind the steering pump on the passenger side. All four wires go in there side-by-side and wrap around the bracket 90 degrees. I had to trim out the pieces that separate the wires on it so it is just one wide groove. They fit then, not good and flush, but they stay put. I just routed everything in the original locations and no problems with touching headers in about 1.5 years.

Quick Reply: Do MSD wires fit in the stock looms?