LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

changing spark plugs, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation changing spark plugs, need advice

I searched some of the threads about spark plugs and found some interesting information, i'm not too sure exactly what the order of the spark plugs are but so far i've done all of the driver side in about 30 minutes and spent about 45 minutes trying to see if i can get at least 1 on the passenger side, which i did. And like i said i dont know the order of the plugs but the one i got to change was on the passenger second closest to the front of the car, the 1st one closest to the front of the car i probably could've got but didnt have time, and the other 2 closest to the rear of the car(near the starter) were just a pita to reach, any tips or advice on how to get these off? should i remove my starter and 02 sensor? what tools would make this easiest? last night i was just limited to a socket wrench and a 5/8's, but tonight i am probably going to buy a swivel. Also, are there any write-ups that anyone knows about?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Order doesn't matter, just try to change them all. Hopefully you have longtube headers, its a real bitch with stock manifolds.

For the rear passenger plugs if you take the starter off you can hit them easily from underneath!. Good luck buddy.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Get the swivel for sure it helped me alot. Just get at them one at a time with extensions and swivel. You don't have to move the starter but it will help if you can gain for more room. Down the road if you get some longtubes it makes it so much better. {OTVC wires with Long tube FTW}
Old 06-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

+1 Go from underneath. I haven't taken the starter off, but it would free up some space.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

This should get you in order.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool, thanks for all of the info!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

how bad would it be if i drove on it with all new spark plugs on drivers side and only 1 new spark plug on cyl 4? i'm only asking because i need to get it to my buddy's house which is about 10 miles out.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

its fine bro. its not gonna hurt anything.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wont hurt anything.......just make it hott and you will have to wait for it to cool down before working on it. #4,6,8 all easy as pie from bottom , like moving the starter..cause i have big forarms. #2 is a challange. make sure you gap your plugs @ .58 ,book says .60 but IMO a lil under is ok for heat expansion.................
Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

It really depends on how bad the old ones looked you took out
As long as you are not using the plugs as a tuning guide, and the plugs & wires are still in good shape not loose or broken, it will be ok, as long as you don't let it go too long.

What did the old plugs look like?

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will post pics of all plugs 1-8 as soon as i get the last 3 out of the way. oh and i forgot to mention that when i started doing my plugs last night plug #7 was not fully tight, i basically unscrewed it off by hand, hopefully this was my previous problem of it falling on it's face under wot. the guy i bought it off of probably didn't ever change them out lol they were super black
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

What I change mine with is a kit I purchased from ebay. It comes with a ratcheting 3/4 wrench and a hollowed out/shortened 5/8 spark plug socket. If you can find it, I would recommend it for the future. If not you can just make your own.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol i'll look into that kit, okay so for an update i got to working on 8 and 6 last night and got those out pretty good after taking the starter off, and i thought plug 2 was going to be cake since it was easy to reach from up top, but all of the lines kind of made it difficult to get out, as i was wrenching it out i found that i had no more room left to take the socket wrench out as it was hitting one of the lines, i think for this i might need a swivel joint which i still have yet to pick up lol. so i'll get to doing that last one tonight. oh and just to mention, the first night i installed spark plugs 1,3,5,7,4 i had disconnected the battery, after i finished i reconnected it and drove my car without changing 8,6, and 2...as i drove out of the driveway my car just kept bogging down but i don't think it was misfiring, i heard a little pop coming from the intake? i'm not too sure, but after a few miles of driving the car progessively started driving fine, but for the first 10 minutes or so it was bogging down like crazy, it kind of felt like i was driving with no maf sensor. This also happened last night after i unplugged the battery and replugged it after i was finished with the spark plug session last night. it currently runs a bit better now, doesn't really bog down. could this all just be from running 7 new ngk's and 1 old bosch platinum dual prongs(whatever they're called lol), or can it be from the computer being reset and trying to read the k&n all over again
Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a spark plug is loose or wire not connected all the way honestly. Change that last one and then double check all plugs/wires and make sure plugged in.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, i wish i was off of work already so i can just get started on it lol
Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

so i changed out every single spark plug, did them one by one and everything is tight but my car still runs like crap, it ran way better before i did the spark plugs..i bought the tr55's, would those be okay to run on my car? when i drive i can barely get up to 30 mph, it feels like i'm running on a bad maf sensor, but i dont think that's the problem because this only started happening when i was changing the plugs. i ease on the gas and it still has trouble getting up to speed, (it feels real sluggish). it also makes a popping noise in the intake.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:25 AM
On The Tree

The drivers side is easy w/ long tube headers. The passenger side is the hard side. I found if you remove the alternator and starter it will be much easier to install the plugs.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1559
so i changed out every single spark plug, did them one by one and everything is tight but my car still runs like crap, it ran way better before i did the spark plugs..i bought the tr55's, would those be okay to run on my car? when i drive i can barely get up to 30 mph, it feels like i'm running on a bad maf sensor, but i dont think that's the problem because this only started happening when i was changing the plugs. i ease on the gas and it still has trouble getting up to speed, (it feels real sluggish). it also makes a popping noise in the intake.
Did you check the plug gap? Plugs with the gap nearly closed......or spread open to 70 or 80 thousandths or more......can cause all of that.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Make sure the wires are all snapped on the plugs good. Make sure you dident crack the insulators on the plugs from torquing on them with the socket not properly seated. I like to change the passenger side from the top. I kneel down on the radiator support and stuff my arm in between the back of the strut tower, and the manifold to get the back two. And i take the alternator off and disconnect the air hose to get access to 2 and 4. If you got to bend that tube for the air a little one way or the other to get the no 2 plug out it wont hurt a thing just put it back when done. I am 6'2 and about 205 -210 lbs and i have no problems getting the ps from the top. I hope you properly gaped your plugs as well, that is important with these engines.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't check the plug gaps, they said they came pregapped at .55 so i didn't bother. the wires are all good we double checked last night. My friend did drop the #4 spark plug while trying to get them in, we looked at it and it didn't look like it was cracked or anything, could that still be a problem? and the TR55's are okay to use on my car right? i've talked to a few people and they said to go with $6/plug AC Delco spark plugs

Quick Reply: changing spark plugs, need advice