Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, lifter stuck up or turned in retainer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, lifter stuck up or turned in retainer?

just did a cam swap, springs, rockers etc.. so i'm setting lash and crankin it 1/2 turn and i notice the 1st rocker on pass side won't move. i used the dowel rod method to hold lifters up, could this have turned/rolled the lifter when i put them in or pulled them out, they went in and out with a lil friction but nuttin major didn't have to ram them in. i know you need a lil cause the rod holds against the side of them. i pushed the rest of the lifters down no problem when i put the rods in. this one lifter seems to be stuck up. i pushed on rod with my thumb but didn't wana force it down. don't think the lifter retainers would hold that hard. is it possible for the lifter to turn when it's up there? and get stuck? i just put it back together to dammit shoulda waited to put balancer on. any thoughts before i tear the cover off again, at least its up front maybe i can see whats up.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM

bump, comon someones gotta know, this has got me. never worked on a ls1 before so i'm not sure what possibilities there are with these lifter holder gizmos, i assume they shouldn't bind. just don't make sense to me. hopin someone can say ya sometimes they stick good just give it a lil tap with an old push rod and rubber mallet, but i don't wanna damage the retainer, like i said never seen the inside under the head to know what exactly the design is. anyone got a pic or link to one. the few motors i've worked on are in my mud trucks, just the classic old small blocks. i thought this lifter retainer was sweet for this cam swap until now, lol
Old 06-04-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it turned in the lifter guide, you will have a lot more work to do. I have heard of the lifters spinning in the guides, but never while someone was doing a cam change. If it did spin in the guide, even if it's close to the front and you could turn it back straight somehow, you still need to replace the guides.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you using the GM procedure or LS1howto.com. If you are using LS1howto, the lifter may be on the lobe of the cam and therefore won't go down. Here is the correct GM procedure noting that all rockers are installed when the lifter is on the base circle of the cam.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 AM

update if anyone cares, i had rotated the crank many times and i swear that sucker wouldn't come down. but anyways after takin a break i go back out and everything is normal its moving like it should. i pulled the rocker and peeked down in there and the flat spot is at the top so that means the roller is straight on the cam, its perfectly aligned no angle at all. so i'm puttin it back together and hope all is well