Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

towing package.. how to wire for it?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing package.. how to wire for it?

as the title reads,, I have a 2005 5.3 4l60e I have been runnning for a few months and a few k miles now, and I will like to wire my towing package, anybody know about how to achieve this?

thanks in advaced..
Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If I understand what I have read and played with about that very thing, in factory form it sends a class 2 (OBD2) request to the PCM.

Non-technobabble answer: there isn't a switch you can ground or put power to and make it work with the factory program.

More technical answer: I was reading that IF you have access to true tuning software like HPT or EFILive (i.e. not a hand held) you can change the transmission setting to "one switch" or "two switches" and momentarily ground a pin to enable and disable performance / tow haul mode. I just found this and haven't researched it much or tested it and I don't know if there is a way to enable a light to let you know when you are in performance / tow haul mode without the BCM (Body Control Module). Of course if you had the BCM you could save yourself a lot of headaches and just pipe into that... but then you would need factory gauges to read the signal that the mode was enabled and so on, and so on...

I guess the real question is how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

Now that I have tuning software, I plan on trying this next time I have the computer out so I can add a few pins to the harness for other stuff I didn't know I couldn't do so I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you tune the PCM to the one switch option and then momentarily ground pin 71 of the blue PCM connector you can toggle back and forth between the normal and tow haul mode. The 2 switch option I don`t really know much about, from what I could gather, if you enable the 2nd switch you have the ability to hit the switch and then be able to manually shift the trans. The 2nd switch option does not seem very useful to me.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That was pretty much what I got from it but like I said I haven't tried it and can't speak to the accuracy of the information. It also didn't seem like a lot of people had tried it or commented on it if they had.

I agree with you on the two switch bit G-Body. If I wanted to manually shift I would either install a paddle shifter setup or install a manual transmission.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been running the one switch option since I did my swap and I like it. I tend to do a bit of heavy towing though so it is really helpful.

I wish I could get a paddle shift to work with the factory PCM. I don`t want it all the time, but it would be nice to be able to hold the gears without having to move the shifter. The 3.73`s, posi, and torque infusion in my el camino make left turns interesting when you hit 2nd gear.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply guys,, I guess since I dont have access to tunning I will just leave it as it is, since its been running good ... well I had my first side of the road down time since the swap.
I went fishing about 170 miles from the house and on the way back while doing 70mph I lost power to the gas pedal,, I idle my way to the shoulder, and after a few minutes of thinking, I pulled the fuse to the pcm,I let it "reset" so I put the fuse back in there and it worked fine for another 100 miles back home...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: towing package.. how to wire for it?