Racer's Lounge - Next Half-Life is coming -- more news at E3

Vendetta
06-04-2010, 08:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iumX3.jpg

Don't know what else that could possibly mean.

1CAMWNDR
06-04-2010, 09:00 PM
OOoooooh. Good news :rock:.

Jmagliola
06-04-2010, 09:18 PM
ok i've played so many of them I've forgotten what the last one was.......

all i remember is grabbing power ball things and blowing up a big building at the end ..... was that HL2?

CrabhartLS1
06-04-2010, 10:47 PM
ok i've played so many of them I've forgotten what the last one was.......

all i remember is grabbing power ball things and blowing up a big building at the end ..... was that HL2?

yes. the easiest boss battle ever against the world's slowest elevator.

I hope it's June 14th of 2010 and not 2020. I also hope it's a whole game and not an episode, but i'll buy it either way.

Wolfsblut
06-04-2010, 11:16 PM
As far as I heard, it is Episode 3. And a new Portal game is rumored to come as well.

XxGarbSxX
06-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Portal 2 has been confirmed for several months. They announced it with updates to Portal in the form of a new achievement and easter eggs about a week or so before an official press release.

The next HL2 game is going to be Episode 3. I also expect it to come with more updates to the Source engine. Hopefully it's decently long (more than 6 hours of gameplay), but not too long to be an episode. Can't wait for the story progression. It's been a long time since Episode 2.

Jmagliola
06-05-2010, 06:52 AM

I hope it's June 14th of 2010 and not 2020. I also hope it's a whole game and not an episode, but i'll buy it either way.

I remember thinking that.

I even had the difficulty turned all the way up........the game ended and I thought "really? that's it?"

Damian
06-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I never even played the first one. Am I missing out?

Shit, I still need to finish the first Mass Effect.

Vendetta
06-05-2010, 10:44 AM

June 14th is E3, not the release date.

SoonLS1Powered
06-05-2010, 01:24 PM
This I like.

I'm hoping this is episode three, but I really think it should be as long as HL2 since it has been so LONG since episode two.

Endersshadow
06-05-2010, 01:45 PM
This I like.

I'm hoping this is episode three, but I really think it should be as long as HL2 since it has been so LONG since episode two.

So you want an expansion running on ancient technology? No thanks! I want Half-Life 3....Not some bullshit expansion that is running on super dated technology!

SoonLS1Powered
06-05-2010, 01:47 PM
So you want an expansion running on ancient technology? No thanks! I want Half-Life 3....Not some bullshit expansion that is running on super dated technology!

I totally agree. They can call it Half Life 2: Episode 3 but it better be well updated.

I played some HL2 a few weeks ago for shits and giggles. I was amazed how dated the game felt.

pitbull14218
06-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Sweet, I hope they update the game engne physics and graphcs!

CrabhartLS1
06-05-2010, 11:00 PM
June 14th is E3, not the release date.

dammit.

XxGarbSxX
06-05-2010, 11:07 PM
The Source engine may be getting up there in years, but it is still a powerful engine. Check out FakeFactory's Cinematic Mod to get an idea of what the Source engine is capable of.

halucinator
06-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Its about time. I've been waiting a long time for Ep. 3 to come out. By far one of my favorite series to play. Hopefully we learn more about that ship that warped. The aurora I believe.

XxGarbSxX
06-05-2010, 11:21 PM
The Borealis.

Endersshadow
06-06-2010, 12:06 AM
The Source engine may be getting up there in years, but it is still a powerful engine. Check out FakeFactory's Cinematic Mod to get an idea of what the Source engine is capable of.

It's old. Time for a new engine.

CrabhartLS1
06-06-2010, 12:07 AM

Said by someone with an LT1.

Pointed out by someone with a 3800.

Endersshadow
06-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Said by someone with an LT1.

Pointed out by someone with a 3800.

I sure could use an LS1 or maybe an LS6. You could too.

Vendetta
06-06-2010, 12:50 AM
The next HL2 game is going to be Episode 3. I also expect it to come with more updates to the Source engine. Hopefully it's decently long (more than 6 hours of gameplay), but not too long to be an episode. Can't wait for the story progression. It's been a long time since Episode 2.

It's been so damn long since Episode 2 that I could see Valve jumping straight into Half-Life 3 rather than giving their fans just an episode after waiting for so long. What's it been, three years?

XxGarbSxX
06-06-2010, 12:52 AM

I disagree. The Source engine is more than capable of providing a top notch gaming experience. Just because something is old doesn't mean that it needs to be replaced. I wouldn't want to see Episode 3 on a brand new engine as that would likely provide a very different experience and kind of ruin the continuity between the episodes. However, I would not be opposed to a brand new engine for HL3.

CrabhartLS1
06-06-2010, 02:17 AM
I think ep2 still looks fantastic.

_JB_
06-06-2010, 02:35 AM
I don't care if they still use the HL2 engine, as long I find out the damn ending to HL2!

Texas Heat
06-06-2010, 02:46 AM
Have never played half life, am I missing out?

CrabhartLS1
06-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Have never played half life, am I missing out?

yes. badly.

KFC_Or_Bust
06-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Half-Life is awesome! Definitely missing out by not playing it, it's probably the best single player FPS franchise ever made, I've been a huge fan since HL1 was first announced like a million years ago.

Vendetta
06-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Half-Life was revolutionary to the FPS genre. Half-Life 2 managed to succeed in the impossible task of living up to the original game. Both are a little bit aged at this point in time.

XxGarbSxX
06-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Half-Life was revolutionary to the FPS genre. Half-Life 2 managed to succeed in the impossible task of living up to the original game. Both are a little bit aged at this point in time.

But they're still top notch games that still rival new releases. They have superb immersion, phenomenal story-telling, top notch pacing, and the graphics aren't too bad, either (at least the HL2 series now that they all run on the updated EP2 engine).

Vendetta
06-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Half-Life has always been a series that I could recognize the value of, but I've always felt just lukewarm about. I've always put a premium on narrative and could never understand why the narrative of the Half-Life series was so praised. The mechanics and engines that they've introduced into the FPS world have been simply stunning, though.

XxGarbSxX
06-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Half-Life has always been a series that I could recognize the value of, but I've always felt just lukewarm about. I've always put a premium on narrative and could never understand why the narrative of the Half-Life series was so praised. The mechanics and engines that they've introduced into the FPS world have been simply stunning, though.

The narrative itself is nothing new. Alien overlords enslave humanity and it's your job to save the entire planet. It's not the first, it won't be the last.

The way they go about telling the story, though, is great. There are very very few instances of things being told to the player by other characters in the game. Instead, the environment tells the story of the ravages done by the Combine. The receding water levels, the broken houses and crushed cars along the highway, the giant fucking citadel in the middle of the city, the overbearing presence of Civil Protection, all of it tells a story without saying a single word. And THAT is why it is so praised.

CrabhartLS1
06-06-2010, 08:52 PM
all of it tells a story without saying a single word.

like the protagonist.

pitbull14218
06-06-2010, 08:59 PM
It could use an LS9 style upgrade to the engne... I'm sure no matter what it will be a great game but I want to see better graphics and physics!

DanWS6
06-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Ep3? So Soon? It's only been about 3 years since Ep2 came out.

If anything it showed that Valve's 6-12 month episodic content idea was a bust.

It'd be nice at this point if they just made it HL:3.

Endersshadow
06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I hope it's Half-Life 3. I hope they make an entirely new engine. Source is dated....Get over it.

CrabhartLS1
06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I hope it's Half-Life 3. I hope they make an entirely new engine. Source is dated....Get over it.

so was the engine for gta3, but they managed to use it for 7 years in one capacity or another.

Endersshadow
06-06-2010, 10:25 PM
so was the engine for gta3, but they managed to use it for 7 years in one capacity or another.

Source has been in use for nearly 6 years. What was your point again?

XxGarbSxX
06-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Source has been in use for nearly 6 years. What was your point again?

That just because something is old doesn't mean it can't still get the job done.

The HL2: Cinematic Mod uses the Episode 2 Source engine and is one of the best looking games I've played. The Source engine can still cut the mustard. Whether or not Valve does half the things that FAKEFACTORY does with the Source engine doesn't mean that Source isn't still a powerful engine. Having something new for the sake of having something new is stupid.

Endersshadow
06-06-2010, 10:40 PM
That just because something is old doesn't mean it can't still get the job done.

The HL2: Cinematic Mod uses the Episode 2 Source engine and is one of the best looking games I've played. The Source engine can still cut the mustard. Whether or not Valve does half the things that FAKEFACTORY does with the Source engine doesn't mean that Source isn't still a powerful engine. Having something new for the sake of having something new is stupid.

Wow. Whatever. Bunch of Source zealots in here. I want a new engine because it's time for one. Plain and simple. It is dated.

XxGarbSxX
06-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Wow. Whatever. Bunch of Source zealots in here. I want a new engine because it's time for one. Plain and simple. It is dated.

Would you like to offer any actual basis for that statement other than "it's old"?

Endersshadow
06-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Would you like to offer any actual basis for that statement other than "it's old"?

I am speaking on purely a graphical level here. Compare CryEngine 3 to source. Thanks. I'm done here.

The game will look dated if released using source.

CrabhartLS1
06-06-2010, 11:29 PM

are you really attempting to start a flame war over the source engine? What are you 14? let it go.

Ib4l

Endersshadow
06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
are you really attempting to start a flame war over the source engine? What are you 14? let it go.

So you are flaming me for "attempting to start a flame war?" Also...if you want me to "let it go" why would you antagonize me further? If you have nothing to say about Half-Life you are in the wrong place.

XxGarbSxX
06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Dude, you're like a baby crying for a new rattle because you're bored with perfectly good rattle you already have.

As for cryengine 3, I don't see anything that the Source engine can't do. I see things that Valve choose not to do for reasons that I suspect would raise system requirements to the upper echelon of gaming rigs and away from the majority of HL2 players. The Source engine can more than get the job done. Period. A new engine is unnecessary and would likely add at least another 3 years to the development of the game.

Just check out some of the screens of the cinematic mod and tell me that the Source engine looks dated. http://cinematicmod.com/cm_10.php#screenshots

Endersshadow
06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Dude, you're like a baby crying for a new rattle because you're bored with perfectly good rattle you already have.

As for cryengine 3, I don't see anything that the Source engine can't do. I see things that Valve choose not to do for reasons that I suspect would raise system requirements to the upper echelon of gaming rigs and away from the majority of HL2 players. The Source engine can more than get the job done. Period. A new engine is unnecessary and would likely add at least another 3 years to the development of the game.

Just check out some of the screens of the cinematic mod and tell me that the Source engine looks dated. http://cinematicmod.com/cm_10.php#screenshots

It looks dated to me. I'm sorry we disagree. I'm going to stop now. I'm sorry for derailing the thread. I want a whole new game. You don't....oh well.

Vendetta
06-07-2010, 12:49 AM

You're backing up your statements with more statements.

chupr0kabra
06-07-2010, 06:30 AM
As long as the HL2 storyline gets finished, I don't care if they use the Source engine, the Unreal engine, or the Quake engine. JUST. FINISH. THE. STORY. Stop working on cheap online games (Left 4 Dead 2, I'm looking at you) and finish HL2.

-Mike

LS1vazquez
06-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Amazing that we are talking about this. I actually decided to fire up Opposing Force last night. (Downloaded from Steam) and it's a blast, outdated graphics and all. I'm trying to speed run through the whole thing on hard mode but there are still a few areas that can genuinely get you.

Also, teaming up with other Marines is a blast.

DanWS6
06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
I am speaking on purely a graphical level here. Compare CryEngine 3 to source. Thanks. I'm done here.

The game will look dated if released using source.

Valve builds their engines with mid stream hardware in mind, where as CryTek caters to the top 10% of gamers who run SLI/Crossfire setups.

That said, graphics aren't everything. It's fun to play through tech demos (Crysis: Warhead for example) but I'd rather have a decent story and polished game instead.

It's not like Valve hasn't been updating the source engine all these years, they've released quite a few updates to HL2 by pulling in improvements they made to the source engine that now powers L4D2.

Endersshadow
06-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Like I said. I'm done arguing. We agree to disagree on the engine. However we all want Half-Life 3 or Episode 3. I'm pretty excited to see what it is.

Gaunt
06-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Like I said. I'm done arguing. We agree to disagree on the engine. However we all want Half-Life 3 or Episode 3. I'm pretty excited to see what it is.

The source engine is designed to be updated in increments. What may be called "Source" for one game a few years from now would be vastly different from a "Source" game a few years prior.

Attacking the source engine would be like attacking the TPI motor for being slow compared to an LS3. Take a look at the changes implemented since its inception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_%28game_engine%29#Modularity_and_notable_up grades

Feel free to insert your foot in your mouth at any time.

Endersshadow
06-07-2010, 01:29 PM
The source engine is designed to be updated in increments. What may be called "Source" for one game a few years from now would be vastly different from a "Source" game a few years prior.

Attacking the source engine would be like attacking the TPI motor for being slow compared to an LS3. Take a look at the changes implemented since its inception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_%28game_engine%29#Modularity_and_notable_up grades

Feel free to insert your foot in your mouth at any time.

:gruffy:

Vendetta
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
This is the type of argument that requires technical facts to be presented. Otherwise it'd be like calling one car faster than the other because "it felt faster".

Gaunt
06-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Well here is the argument and Valve business plan in a nutshell.

The CryEngine is superior in graphical prowess than the Source engine for sure, you won't find many people who would argue that. My post above ,I merely illustrated that with so many serious changes to the Source engine done in the past, it is conceivable it would be better both graphically and efficiency wise.

However, the major caveat to that is the CryEngine requires significantly more processing power and hardware capabilities than running the Source engine. As such, you see a lot of Valve games can be played on a multitude of older and newer computers, where games with the CryEngine can really only be played on the higher end computers. Go to a LAN party or something, and tell me what they are playing, Crysis or CS:Source.

Now, people like to bullshit and say that Crysis ran on their <insert shitty computer> <insert shitty spec> blah blah blah. Yes, anything can play on low settings with no anti-aliasing and reflections. Big fuckin' deal.

Endersshadow
06-07-2010, 08:51 PM
IMHO the Source engine is dated. Why do I think that? Because the games running on it look average at best. They are certainly playable and the engine doesn't detract too much from the overall experience but I believe it's time for a new engine. Did you ever stop to look around in Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 and say "Wow this game is great looking!"? Nope...didn't think so. I want the awe factor I felt when I saw those screens of Half-Life 2 for the first time. I want a next gen engine for a next gen game. Is that ok with you guys? lol

2QuikTA
06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
IMHO the Source engine is dated. Why do I think that? Because the games running on it look average at best. They are certainly playable and the engine doesn't detract too much from the overall experience but I believe it's time for a new engine. Did you ever stop to look around in Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 and say "Wow this game is great looking!"? Nope...didn't think so. I want the awe factor I felt when I saw those screens of Half-Life 2 for the first time. I want a next gen engine for a next gen game. Is that ok with you guys? lol

Coming from a purely console gamer....

I like "shock and awe" graphics as much as the next guy, but people like you are what's wrong with gaming today. Too many games these days try to cater to the sparkly looks rather than the character development and/or story, and frankly I'm tired of it.

Endersshadow
06-07-2010, 09:20 PM

I like "shock and awe" graphics as much as the next guy, but people like you are what's wrong with gaming today. Too many games these days try to cater to the sparkly looks rather than the character development and/or story, and frankly I'm tired of it.

Wow...Assume much jerk? I'm not even sure if I should bother with you. Valve will deliver all the great dialogue and all the great story moments. I want a new engine to go along with it.

Also....I barely play console games. I play more Quake 3 and Guild Wars than 360. Thanks for trying though....good effort.

People like you (assholes who assume far too much) are the reason we get stupid ass arguments all the time in off topic. Sure it's entertaining but it gets old fast.

Just reread what you typed. If you were saying you were purely a console gamer I retract the mean bits. lol. If not....They still stand! lol.

Gaunt
06-07-2010, 09:24 PM

I have nothing against with mind blowing graphics, don't get me wrong.

However, Valve made the decisions they did to cater to the largest amount of gamers out there, not just the people with the higher end rigs. That said, computer gaming these days hasn't been really powering graphical innovation like it was 5-10 years ago (there was a really good write up on this on Kotaku a few months back).

I think you'll find that sentiment is shared my most people, but is a cop out. You as a consumer can control what you buy and what you don't, so not supporting the flashy piece of garbage pushed out of a large publisher's rectum is fine and dandy, but that's what sells, and that's what keeps getting made.

Wow...Assume much jerk? I'm not even sure if I should bother with you. Valve will deliver all the great dialogue and all the great story moments. I want a new engine to go along with it.

Also....I barely play console games. I play more Quake 3 and Guild Wars than 360. Thanks for trying though....good effort.

People like you (assholes who assume far too much) are the reason we get stupid ass arguments all the time in off topic. Sure it's entertaining but it gets old fast.

I think you have made your point, and there is no need for name calling. This thread has been sufficiently derailed, and while I didn't help, there is nothing left to talk about.

I can't wait for HL3 :cheers:

Vendetta
06-08-2010, 12:11 AM

Just reread what you typed. If you were saying you were purely a console gamer I retract the mean bits. lol. If not....They still stand! lol.

Name-calling is not something that flies around here.

Endersshadow
06-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Name-calling is not something that flies around here.

He was rude to me first. But I do apologize for the petty name calling. Sorry dude.

camar0corey
06-08-2010, 08:34 AM
For the person who never even played the first one, if you are huge on gaming over at steam for $100 you get: includes 22 items: Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Ricochet, Half-Life, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2 (Mac coming soon), Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2

or if you have a Xbox 360, I would just pick up the Orange Box for it, which has Half Life 2, Episode 1 and 2, Portal, and Team Fortress, then just download Half Life1 off of steam.

BTW, why can't we have graphics and a great game? Look at FM3, damn that game is great looking and delivers great racing action, and on a console.

I can't wait for either episode 3 or HL3. I did things kind of weird, beat Half Life way back when it originally came out, can remember playing deathmatch over dial up, yeah if you weren't hosting using the rocket launcher was suicide! I remember playing They Hunger, a mod that was good enough to show up on the PC Gamer disc whatever month that was. Then I didn't get around to playing HL2 until about six months ago, and did so on the 360, which honestly looked good enough for me!

Z Fury
06-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Apparently the Half-Life series is something I need to check out...

Anyone have any information on Portal 2? I got in on the free download that someone on here linked up, and I'm absolutely hooked on that game. Very simple, but insanely high replay value (at least for me). I'd love to see more maps/levels for that.

robsls1
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I just wanna find out who that agent dude that pops up here and there teasing you. He is in the first one and in the second one shows up in the beginnign and randomally through out the game.

Dam I forgot his name allready.

Gaunt
06-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I just wanna find out who that agent dude that pops up here and there teasing you. He is in the first one and in the second one shows up in the beginnign and randomally through out the game.

G Man!!!

:cool:

XxGarbSxX
06-08-2010, 08:19 PM

He's the GMan. And don't expect an answer to that question any time soon. I don't think we'll ever get any real information on him or anything related to him.

CrabhartLS1
06-08-2010, 11:35 PM
g man's awesome. i wish there had been more g man moments in the episodes though. There are only two of those easter egg style appearances in ep2 and as far as i know, none in ep1. There were like 15 in hl2.

XxGarbSxX
06-09-2010, 12:14 AM
g man's awesome. i wish there had been more g man moments in the episodes though. There are only two of those easter egg style appearances in ep2 and as far as i know, none in ep1. There were like 15 in hl2.

That would be due to the reason why you're still on earth and not in stasis. The Vortigaunts "rescued" you from the G Man's control between the end of HL2 and the beginning of Episode 1 and they've been preventing him from collecting you or even contacting you until that part in the mines in Episode 2.

Endersshadow
06-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Valve said that image Vendetta posted is a fake and that they will not be showing episode 3 at E3.

CrabhartLS1
06-09-2010, 02:54 AM
That would be due to the reason why you're still on earth and not in stasis. The Vortigaunts "rescued" you from the G Man's control between the end of HL2 and the beginning of Episode 1 and they've been preventing him from collecting you or even contacting you until that part in the mines in Episode 2.

I'm well aware of the storyline. The easter eggs are what gives a game replay value, like the vortigaunt that would say a bunch of stuff after the helicopter battle, or the rooms behind the walls in portal, or the end of ep2 when dr. kleiner mentions an 8lb weight anomaly on the rocket (supposed to be a lawn gnome towards the beginning of the game that you put on board)

camar0corey
06-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I gave up on trying to put the gnome on the rocket, damn thing wouldn't stay in the car!
You already had to pay attention to see the thing in the first place, I hate how if you throw it even behind the seats it just falls out!

Gaunt
06-09-2010, 10:49 AM

There were a fair amount in HL1 :P

Those were some of the best moments too.

He's the GMan. And don't expect an answer to that question any time soon. I don't think we'll ever get any real information on him or anything related to him.

Also, the Wikipedia article has a fairly impressive body of knowledge about G man, give it a once-over :chug:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Man_%28Half-Life%29

Vendetta
06-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Apparently the Half-Life series is something I need to check out...

You're just figuring this out now? That statement has been true since 1998.

Z Fury
06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
You're just figuring this out now? That statement has been true since 1998.

I've never been a fan of the newer gen FPS style games. Doom II was awesome, and Doom III turned me off of them almost completely. In spite of how "awesome" Mass Effect is, I still haven't finished the first zone. Even Dragon Age got annoying after the first 3 hours. I guess I'm becoming more of a casual gamer now that my college days are quite a ways back in the rear view mirror. This is why I'm loving Portal so much. Very casual, trial-and-error, logic type puzzle game. If they'd release a 100+ map pack for this game, similar to the old .wad files for Doom II, I'd gladly fork out the cash for it.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a way to get a free D/L (legally) of the old Half-Life games, I'll give them a shot.

Gaunt
06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I've never been a fan of the newer gen FPS style games. Doom II was awesome, and Doom III turned me off of them almost completely. In spite of how "awesome" Mass Effect is, I still haven't finished the first zone. Even Dragon Age got annoying after the first 3 hours. I guess I'm becoming more of a casual gamer now that my college days are quite a ways back in the rear view mirror. This is why I'm loving Portal so much. Very casual, trial-and-error, logic type puzzle game. If they'd release a 100+ map pack for this game, similar to the old .wad files for Doom II, I'd gladly fork out the cash for it.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a way to get a free D/L (legally) of the old Half-Life games, I'll give them a shot.

They aren't going to be free, but they are on sale on Steam right now for pocket change. Really. You are doing yourself a disservice to not play half life.

Z Fury
06-09-2010, 01:51 PM
They aren't going to be free, but they are on sale on Steam right now for pocket change. Really. You are doing yourself a disservice to not play half life.

I'll look into it this weekend. In the middle of moving into my house, so my free time is non-existent (except at work, but I don't game here).

XxGarbSxX
06-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm well aware of the storyline. The easter eggs are what gives a game replay value, like the vortigaunt that would say a bunch of stuff after the helicopter battle, or the rooms behind the walls in portal, or the end of ep2 when dr. kleiner mentions an 8lb weight anomaly on the rocket (supposed to be a lawn gnome towards the beginning of the game that you put on board)

The 8lb anomaly is actually Lamarr. If you watch the hatch when you meet Magnusson in the first rocket silo, he climbs in and you can close the hatch on him..

Vendetta
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
During the celebrations at the end of Dragon Age, Sten actually says "I was told there would be cake. Where is the cake? The cake is a lie." if you talk to him.

(I'm required to mention a BioWare game in every video game thread in the lounge)

CrabhartLS1
06-10-2010, 12:19 AM
The 8lb anomaly is actually Lamarr. If you watch the hatch when you meet Magnusson in the first rocket silo, he climbs in and you can close the hatch on him..

:lol: no shit i wondered if that was the reason the first time i played through it.

Vendetta
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM

In that case, you probably won't get anything out of any new game, regardless of genre. Sounds like you're just stuck in the past, to be honest. Games aren't "simple" nowadays, they're becoming more and more complex as the industry grows.

Z Fury
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM
In that case, you probably won't get anything out of any new game, regardless of genre. Sounds like you're just stuck in the past, to be honest. Games aren't "simple" nowadays, they're becoming more and more complex as the industry grows.

I wouldn't say I'm completely stuck in the past, just falling into a rather fine niche. I'm a lot busier now than I was 5-10 years ago, so I can't dedicate a lot of time to lengthy games with insane controls. I loved the new Metal Gear. I'm looking forward to the new Castlevania game, when it comes out. I also enjoyed RE5, even though it sucked as an RE game.

Not sure what my niche is - kind of hard to define it from that random list. I do like newer games, and complexity doesn't matter much. The lack of customizing of the controls for Mass Effect is what turned me off of it. The battlefield views in Dragon Age turned me off of it. Assassin's Creed got old because of the ridiculous distance that needed to be traveled.

Anyway, we're drifting off topic here. I do enjoy playing the older games, but the new ones are just as fun. They just have to fit into my rather odd-shaped mold.

Endersshadow
06-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't say I'm completely stuck in the past, just falling into a rather fine niche. I'm a lot busier now than I was 5-10 years ago, so I can't dedicate a lot of time to lengthy games with insane controls. I loved the new Metal Gear. I'm looking forward to the new Castlevania game, when it comes out. I also enjoyed RE5, even though it sucked as an RE game.

Not sure what my niche is - kind of hard to define it from that random list. I do like newer games, and complexity doesn't matter much. The lack of customizing of the controls for Mass Effect is what turned me off of it. The battlefield views in Dragon Age turned me off of it. Assassin's Creed got old because of the ridiculous distance that needed to be traveled.

Anyway, we're drifting off topic here. I do enjoy playing the older games, but the new ones are just as fun. They just have to fit into my rather odd-shaped mold.

Metal Gear 4 had some pretty complex controls. If you can play that and adapt to the control scheme you should be just fine using FPS control schemes.

Z Fury
06-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Metal Gear 4 had some pretty complex controls. If you can play that and adapt to the control scheme you should be just fine using FPS control schemes.

I adapted largely due to the pace. That was a covert type game, where you should be stealth as often as possible. I didn't set any speed records in that game, so the controls weren't an issue. FPS games are typically more fast-paced, leaving me searching for the right buttons at the wrong times.

Maybe after I've finished my move and my new AMD 6-core setup, I'll look into some of them and give them a legit shot.

Gaunt
06-10-2010, 04:48 PM
FPS games are typically more fast-paced, leaving me searching for the right buttons at the wrong times.

I find that hard to believe. Can you give an example? FPS games are generally accessible and fast paced, ergo, easy to use (you point your mouse, and shoot, it dies).

I think there are only truly a few FPS games that require more thinking power than hitting a few number keys to switch weapons... Deus Ex and AvP, maybe a few others in recent memory? Mirrors edge doesn't count.

You might not like FPS games for other reasons for all I know (which is fine), but that is a weak argument :P

Vendetta
06-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I find that hard to believe. Can you give an example? FPS games are generally accessible and fast paced, ergo, easy to use (you point your mouse, and shoot, it dies).

I think there are only truly a few FPS games that require more thinking power than hitting a few number keys to switch weapons... Deus Ex and AvP, maybe a few others in recent memory? Mirrors edge doesn't count.

You might not like FPS games for other reasons for all I know (which is fine), but that is a weak argument :P

I think his argument is that he's too unfamiliar with the controller to keep up with the pace of an FPS, not that the learning curve is too steep or the controls are too complex.

Gaunt
06-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I think his argument is that he's too unfamiliar with the controller to keep up with the pace of an FPS, not that the learning curve is too steep or the controls are too complex.

Ahh, my mistake then.

Sorry Z fury :cheers:

CrabhartLS1
06-10-2010, 08:37 PM
an fps on a console is like a v8 miata: sounds neat but is limited too much by its platform to be utilized properly. There are better ways of having fun.

Gaunt
06-10-2010, 09:22 PM
an fps on a console is like a v8 miata: sounds neat but is limited too much by its platform to be utilized properly. There are better ways of having fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0-leAurNEg

Vendetta
06-10-2010, 11:07 PM

PC guys have been saying that for a decade now, but it hasn't seemed to affect the fact that the market is shifting more and more toward console shooters each passing year.

Z Fury
06-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Actually, I'm referring to PC FPS games. They seem to map every little function to a separate key, which is annoying. On the PS3, I just hold down R1 (hypothetically) and it assigns a new role to the main 4 buttons. That I can handle. Also, dual joysticks is a win with me. I think the PC excels with mouse-driven aim, whereas the consoles excel with overall ease of operation. Again, my opinions. The problem I have with them is that I suck at aiming on the PS3, and am too lazy to memorize the ridiculous keyboard layout used on the PC (sometimes I think you need a third hand to cover everything). I really don't have anything against FPSs though. Maybe when my schedule slows down a bit and I can give one of these newer ones a legitimate shot...

Morbid
06-11-2010, 08:57 AM
The sole reason I don't care for console shooters is having to use a controller versus a keyboard and mouse. I don't like trying to aim with analog sticks because of my playing style. I like being able to quick snap 180 degrees, it's very useful especially in death match situations.

Anyhow, back on topic. So the image posted in the first post is a fake but there's still something Valve is announcing at E3 this year (aside from Portal 2) - it won't be Half-Life 2: Episode 3 but Half-Life 3 hasn't been ruled out. We'll see.

camar0corey
06-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I've noticed that on consoles I need the aim inverted but on the PC I need un-inverted controls.:lol:

I've gotten really used to console controls, but it CAN get confusing, for instance I was playing Bad Company 2 online, but at the same time playing the single player story line in Bad Company 1, Perfect Dark came out, and I was also getting in some Borderlands time. This is when the controls can get confusing! All the games including BC1 to BC2 use different control schemes.

I wish they would release HL1 on XBLA and also an unabridged version of Doom 3 on XBLA and the first Deus Ex. I've gotten really used to console controls and don't really game on my laptop. I don't have a budget set aside at the moment for a PC to game on.

Z Fury
06-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't have a budget set aside at the moment for a PC to game on.

I actually just priced out a new 6-core Athlon build/upgrade for under $500 shipped. :D

camar0corey
06-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Oh pricing isn't bad on PC's now, its just that I have no job and am living on the post 9/11 GI Bill, trying to knock out a degree. Trying to beat down some credit card debt and have a 88 Silverado I'm working on, plus whatever breaks on the Z28. Now just isn't the time for a PC.

Gaunt
06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Aiming etc. is better with a mouse and keyboard, but that's not to say console FPS is shit. Generally, the people that disagree with this are computer gaming elitists that played halo once at their buddy's house and got bent over.

It's a different control scheme, and different nuances to capping an idiot in the head across a map, but if you don't take the time to learn the technique, you really shouldn't have ground to stand on. I could use the reverse of this argument for PC gaming and people would get butthurt REAL quick. With console gaming, you give up a little precision for a far superior form factor which is also much cheaper (some people would argue this, and console gaming CAN get expensive, but so can anything). Red ringing and Yellow light of doom aside, on Xbox and PS3 respectively.

DanWS6
06-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Gabe's Out of Office reply:

http://i.imgur.com/Tawmv.png

He's got a great sense of humor. lol.

Vendetta
06-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Lol. That's classic.

CrabhartLS1
06-15-2010, 12:13 AM
that's funny because it made me laugh.

jmurray87
06-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Ive been waiting for Ep3 for so long that I have forgotten the story so far in HL2,EP1,EP2.

Well, Guess I will need to get STEAM again and catch back up.